Vintage Wakmann Chronograph -should I swap out the movement?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Hartmut Richter
  • 1 Post By awilds

Thread: Vintage Wakmann Chronograph -should I swap out the movement?

Vintage Wakmann Chronograph -should I swap out the movement?

I have recently acquired a vintage 1960's 2 register Wakmann Chronograph. However upon closer inspection the swiss made movement marked wakmann watch co. is a basic 7 jewel stop watch movement.

Apparently Wakmann produced this "swiss pilot stopwatch". It is all original and from my research it is very rare. The case and Dial are just gorgeous. My question is should I purchase a Valjoux 773 or Venus 188 movement and swap it out?

I really wanted a REAL vintage Chronograph. I did not pay a super amount of money for this watch I love how it looks. However I was hoping to get a true Wakmann with a quality movement for my collection. This is my first vintage chrono and I'm wondering if I should invest the money in this watch to upgrade the movement or just leave it as is and get another vintage chrono that is a genuine chrono with flyback / reset.

I would appreciate all your feedback to let me know what would be the best course of action.

Thanks,
    -A

Re: Vintage Wakmann Chronograph -should I swap out the movement?

Hi there,

you can certainly upgrade a 1910 Silver Ghost with a BMW engine from present production. But do you believe this will enhance its value?

Regards, Roland Ranfft

Hello A. I would be interested in seeing a photo if possible of your dial and movement. I have a late 60's wakmann 2 register, swiss labelled. These Wakmann have used various movements. Mine has a valjoux 235. Whether you should swap the movement I guess would depend on just how rare what you have is. I would wait to see what others might say about that. If it is truly rare, one option might be to sell it and buy another wakmann in good condition. They are available and not THAT expensive, so you might come out net cash positive.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Can't really say anything without seeing the movement, not to speak of the watch itself. If precision is what counts, reasonably reliable quartz watches start from $ 9,99 with free shipment.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I rather doubt that what you propose is at all feasible, at least not without horrendous cost and effort. If any of the following do not apply, you are condemned to failure:

1. the vintage movement you intend to install has to fit - a larger and thicker case is acceptable, thinner or smaller isn't. And most mechanical chronograph movements are not especially slim
    2. the new movement must have the winding stem and pushers at the same level as the old movement
    3. the new movement must fit hands in the same place as the current holes in the dial. Of course, you could always drill new holes and patch up the old redundant ones, but one thing that attracts you is the old dial the way it is and you are about to ruin it.....
    4. the new movement must fit hands whose arbor is no thicker than the current holes in the dial (see 3. above)
    5. the new movement should have the holes for the dial feet in exactly the same position as the old movement

I hope that now you understand why I wish you the very best of luck! I fear that you may end up needing it. And even if you succeed, as Roland Ranfft says, you may have made yourself happy but will certainly not have raised the value of the watch.

Hartmut Richter
    Border-Reiver likes this.

absolutely NOT feasible; these are Lapanouse movements, among the lowest grade calibers ever produced, chances of fitting a decent movement in this case are minimal, alignment of pushers and crown will be impossible I fear- and then you'd have to find correct hands to fit that decent caliber and have the correct design and dimensions for your dial & case - and this is assuming that dial would fit ........

if money is no object it might be possible - but you'd end up spending much, much more than a perfect high end chronograph of the leading manufacturers (well, maybe not a monopusher Patek) would cost.

Would still like to see photos. Maybe this watch was just "fixed" by a watchmaker whose client just wanted the hands to go around the dial

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Thanks to everyone for their input. I have decided to have the existing movement serviced and just leave it at as is. It's a beautiful watch and when it's done I'll post pictures with more information.

Thank you again!

Aaron
    DragonDan likes this.

Thread Information