Vintage watch with chrome...will it stay on or.....

Thread: Vintage watch with chrome...will it stay on or.....

Question Vintage watch with chrome...will it stay on or.....

Hi all

I have seen some watches, vintage, with chrome, was that done to make them more rust proof?
    Will the chrome stay one, or after some time and wear, flake away

How is it to buy a watch with it, is it easy to have new chrome or fix the old chrome?

Also, maybe I am wrong, but it looks to me that chrome was used pre 1950. Is that right?

Thanks for looking
    Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Re: Vintage watch with chrome...will it stay on or.....

Chrome-nickel pocket watches(if You are talking about those) became modern in late 1920.s and 1930.s.Most of them are on the sales described as "Art-deco" watches.

If the item is adequately preserved,chrome shouldn't flake away,but if it does there is a way to re-chrome it again.There are craftsmans that are able to do that,you should try to find one.Most of those craftsmans are using chrome while servicing and repairing different kinds of guns so try to find that kind of workshop in your area.

Regards!
    “Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings - always darker, emptier and simpler.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.portalsatova.com/forum/

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vegard_dino View Post
    Hi all

I have seen some watches, vintage, with chrome, was that done to make them more rust proof?
    Will the chrome stay one, or after some time and wear, flake away

How is it to buy a watch with it, is it easy to have new chrome or fix the old chrome?

Also, maybe I am wrong, but it looks to me that chrome was used pre 1950. Is that right?

Thanks for looking
    Cheers
    Vegard_dino
    Chrome plating is still common today, usually over brass base metal. Chrome plated brass has always been cheaper than stainless steel, so until recently it has been more common. Steel was usually reserved for military, diving and sports watches (or brands like Omega and Rolex with a sport/military/diving heritage). Most post-WWII vintage silver-coloured wristwatches are chromed brass with steel caseback. The exception being watches from the Peoples Republic of China, which from 1960 onwards mostly (80+%) had steel cases.

Some chrome wears better than others. Hong Kong watches have fairly thin plating, whereas older Soviet pieces wear much better (unlike recent Russian watches ) As jedanzoom says, rechroming is possible and there's a good chance that such a service will be available somewhere not too far from you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the information.

So, it was used then, my low-high end makers to, talking about the pre 50´s for wrist watches to.Well, Rolex and Omega did use as you say, used steel.

But, a watch from the late 40´s with chrome, was it used to give it more shine? Or, just for the price?
    Just look at a photo of a High end watch from that time, who had/has chrome.
    But, it is not a sport/diving watch, more dress watch.

Thanks

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

I don't know if this goes for the watches also, but in the past Chrome was used in a lot of things. Think cars and the quality then was excellent, you simply cannot find that any more. And if you still find someone with the skills to do it properly you have to pay through the nose for it, I know I drive old cars
    So don't see it as low or medium quality, just something from that era that will not come back any more because it has become too expensive now. It is actually exclusive now, everyone has stainless but chrome....

Regards,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by vegard_dino View Post
    Thanks for the information.

So, it was used then, my low-high end makers to, talking about the pre 50´s for wrist watches to.Well, Rolex and Omega did use as you say, used steel.

But, a watch from the late 40´s with chrome, was it used to give it more shine? Or, just for the price?
    Just look at a photo of a High end watch from that time, who had/has chrome.
    But, it is not a sport/diving watch, more dress watch.

Thanks

Cheers
    Vegard_dino

Hi Marc

Thanks for the reply

Yes, thats tru! Never had that in my mind..a long gone style/trade. To bad, when thinking of it.

And, yes, through my nouse I payed for the chrome job on my car, but it´s so nice to look at

Thread Information