Vintage Watch Info Online?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By Roland Ranfft
  • 3 Post By Habitant
  • 1 Post By Marrick

Thread: Vintage Watch Info Online?

Vintage Watch Info Online?

Greetings from NYC! So where do YOU go for vintage watch research? Here are the best resources I've found...

- Google Shopping: Aggregates results from multiple e-commerce sites like Ebay and Etsy and many others; it easily sorts results by price and even displays info on auctions that have already ended
    - Vintage Military Watches -- Books and Articles: I've compiled a list of about 20 resources; message me if you'd like to see it
    - ALSO, I just stumbled on WatchesDB, which calls itself an "Online Museum" of watches, with images and info; I'm not sure how comprehensive it is, but I applaud the idea, and it didn't let me down when I conducted a test search. And hey, if we all contribute to it, it could be something tremendous for our community -- kind of like a watch "wiki."
    > WatchesDB website: World Watch Museum

So where do YOU go for vintage watch info? *Handing the mic over to you now...*

Re: Vintage Watch Info Online?

Well, there are manufacturers' resources, like the Omega Vintage Watches Database and Rossler's book on Zenith- not many of resources like that, though... Generally, I don't think that there is a resource which will provide you with a vast knowledge of vintage watches- it's usually best to research particular brands and models. Often you'll find websites focused on particular models/model lines, like Omega Constellation Collectors. Looking up particular watches here on WUS also helps a lot.
    Sam-C-NYC likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Hi Sam,

watch wiki exists: Hauptseite/en – Watch-Wiki
    Unfortunately it is international, and the languages are mixed like the authors.
    And you are aware that ebay is no research foundation, aren't you? One can get there an idia what's going on on the market, but I'm afrad that's all.

Better google for particular themes, or use e.g. the link list of this site. There are lots of amateurs who run amazing sites, more hassle than browsing general information sites, but this is rewarded with much more detailled informations.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Sam-C-NYC and busmatt like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Sam,

Unfortunately it is international, and the languages are mixed like the authors.
    And you are aware that ebay is no research foundation, aren't you? One can get there an idia what's going on on the market, but I'm afrad that's all.

Better google for particular themes, or use e.g. the link list of this site. There are lots of amateurs who run amazing sites, more hassle than browsing general information sites, but this is rewarded with much more detailled informations.

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Thanks Roland (and MKWS). I'll definitely check out the watch wiki and also the WUS links and articles. I'm new here and new to horology, so thanks for the help!

Not forgetting the fantastic website of Roland Ranfft himself. indispensable. An absolute treasure trove of information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland Ranfft View Post
    Hi Sam,

Regards, Roland Ranfft
    Mirius, Sam-C-NYC and busmatt like this.

There are some good links in here: Links and Articles
    Sam-C-NYC likes this.

Thanks guys. You are the best.

Thread Information