Vintage Watch Inquiry

Thread: Vintage Watch Inquiry

Vintage Watch Inquiry

I have a pocket watch I got from my grandpa. I was wondering if someone could help me identify it. It is a Wm Kennedy made in East Albany, NY. The "m" in Wm Kennedy is superscripted and double underlined on first plate inside the watch. It is single underlined inside the watch and is not underlined on the face of the watch. On the inside of both plate covers the number 52728 is engraved. The second inside plate says
    COMPENSATED BALANCE
    Visible Pallets
    N" 52728
    Isochronal Spring
    Wm Kennedy
    East Albany, N.Y.

Re: Vintage Watch Inquiry

:-S I haven't seen one like this before. I don't think there was a William Kennedy watch company so he was either a jeweler or a distributor of watches.
    From the look of it I'd say it's not American, probably a Swiss made watch. I would certainly date it prior to 1890, maybe earlier. It doesn't look like any of the early American made watches in my reference books. Key wind and set, probably 15 jewel certainly 11 at the least.
    It's one of the more unusual watches I've seen here. Thanks for posting the pics.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Re: Vintage Watch Inquiry

Hello Justin. I am absolutely amazed that you have that watch. That watch was made in East Albany (now called Rensselaer), New York, by my great-grandfather, William Kennedy. I cannot tell you the date, but my guess was that it was in the late 1800's. He moved to Albany around 1900. He was a successful jeweler who came from Ireland in the 1860's, and specialized in railroad watches. This is especially interesting to me, because I am currently doing alot of family research, and have been trying to find out as much as possible out William kennedy and his jewelry business. I would very much like to hear from you. Please e-mail me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Joe Kennedy
    Queensbury, NY

Thread Information