Vintage watch movements collectors - no watch, movements!
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Vintage watch movements collectors - no watch, movements!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage watch movements collectors - no watch, movements!

Exist vintage watch movements collectors? - no watch, movements! I hope, yes...

Yes?

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage watch movements collectors - no watch, movements!

Some people do pick up raw movements (and often, this is only for parts, i.e. to cannibalise for restoring others) but I think that everyone else here would rather have the whole watch is this can be managed.....

Hartmut Richter
    mleok likes this.

I know many people who can have only this possibility... Collect movements with (or without) original dials and hands, without original brand case... movements from watch with gold case (case is probably sold separately) or from watch with damaged case (gold plated, chromed…), damaged dial, hands… Exist anybody on this forum?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Mostly, I collect watches, but I have picked up a few orphan movements that probably had their cases melted. For the most part, I want to recase them, so that they can once again be watches.

EDIT: Biggest problem with collecting naked movements is dust. It's hard to display them without dust getting into them.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

If this movement can enter in new modern case and have new watch - this is good idea? Movement live, working - not exist dust problem :)

True, but generally I look for cases the same age, but holding lower grade movements. For instance, twice I have swapped in 19 or 21j Lord Elgin pocket watch movements to replace 17j movements in gold filled cases.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

A good portion of my collection is uncased movements...and no you're not about to see them in someone's ridiculously oversized wristwatch case as long as I own them...
    Eeeb, CMSgt Bo, mleok and 2 others like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben_hutcherson View Post
    A good portion of my collection is uncased movements...and no you're not about to see them in someone's ridiculously oversized wristwatch case as long as I own them...
    This is all pocket watch movements? If this wrist watch movements, can have regular today mostly used size - diameter without crown about 40 mm. With modern look - new stainless steel case, rotatable bezel, ceramic insert, new luminous hands, transparent back plate... Can have new watch with this movements... This is good possibility for you?

To me, movements are more interesting than encasements. I confess I've rarely collected JUST the movement... But I have frequently collected watches because of their movement. Indeed, I have several series of all (?? - for sure most!!) of the watches that encased a certain movement.... something which is not really possible with vintage except in some of the early quartz and tuning forks.
    Last edited by Eeeb; May 28th, 2019 at 07:50. Reason: added hummers
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Quote Originally Posted by Eeeb View Post
    Indeed, I have several series of all (?? - for sure most!!) of the watches that encased a certain movement.... something which is not really possible with vintage except in some of the early quartz and tuning forks.
    Sorry, my english is not perfect... Maybe not full understand...

Your wrist watches - watch movements, what case, dial or hands not in good collectible condition, maybe - movement is heart of watch - will have this movement in new modern watch?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information