Vintage watch-- need help

Thread: Vintage watch-- need help

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4

    Vintage watch-- need help

    I have this vintage 18K gold pocket watch. I can`t find anything about it. Inside the back case is stamped W.W & Co. On the works are; Simpson Samuell & son ----Werpool--- and the serial # 11315. It is key wind & key set. If possible, I would like to know, age, value, and manufacturer. I am new here and will try to upload some pictures. Thanks for ANY info. anteeker
    Attached Images Attached Images










  2. #2
    Member Marrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    East Yorkshire, UK
    Posts
    7,743

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    Quote Originally Posted by anteeker View Post
    I have this vintage 18K gold pocket watch. I can`t find anything about it. Inside the back case is stamped W.W & Co. On the works are; Simpson Samuell & son ----Werpool--- and the serial # 11315. It is key wind & key set. If possible, I would like to know, age, value, and manufacturer. I am new here and will try to upload some pictures. Thanks for ANY info. anteeker
    There's a mention of Samuel Simpson of Liverpool (don't know of any Werpool in the UK - nor does Google Maps) here:

    http://www.clockswatches.com/showindex.php?em=S

    But you have to pay to look, and it probably just gives an old long gone address. No valuations are given in here.
    Last edited by Marrick; March 18th, 2008 at 15:11.

  3. #3
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    Thanks for posting. We do not do valuations in this forum. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.
    I think Marrick is correct. It's Samuel Simpson of Liverpool who is the maker. The W W & Co. is the case maker. Unfortunately your photos are too small or not clear enough for me to see the case markings. There might be a hallmark or other symbol on the inside of the case but I cannot read it.
    As to the movement - again I would like to see a larger photo. I'm guessing prior to 1870 and after 1850.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    4

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    Thanks you guys! Sorry for asking about the value. I ahould have done more reading before posting.

  6. #5
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    We don't value watches because we cannot do it fairly and accurately from photos. Condition is the #1 thing anyway. That we cannot tell unless the watch is examined by a competent watchmaker.
    Since the case is 18K the watch has intrinsic value beyond its function.
    It's also a fairly rare watch, but how much interest it would have to a collector we cannot say.
    I know many posters are frustrated by our reluctance to valuate but it's really impossible to guess within plus or minus 50%. Anyone who does give you a valuation - unless as an expert - would be off by that much in our view.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  7. #6
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,156

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    We don't value watches because we cannot do it fairly and accurately from photos. Condition is the #1 thing anyway. That we cannot tell unless the watch is examined by a competent watchmaker.
    Since the case is 18K the watch has intrinsic value beyond its function.
    It's also a fairly rare watch, but how much interest it would have to a collector we cannot say.
    I know many posters are frustrated by our reluctance to valuate but it's really impossible to guess within plus or minus 50%. Anyone who does give you a valuation - unless as an expert - would be off by that much in our view.
    Ray, the experts are often off by that much... sometimes more!

    I usually answer the 'whatzitworth?' question with a car comparison...
    it's a chevy... it's an olds ... it's a Rolls Royce ... or, in this case, it's a Reo
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  8. #7
    Member Ray MacDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Almonte ON Canada
    Posts
    23,771

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    Even if we do use the car analogy -and it's a good one - condition still is so important. One vintage Chevy is not the same as another that's been looked after better.
    My advice to those who ask is don't worry about value. Either it's priceless to you or it's really not worth all that much to anyone else. Not many of us have a stable of Pateks sitting in a safety deposit box.
    As an example - in 1976 I bought an 18S Hampden keywind for $100. Its value today if I sold it - maybe $175. Its value to me - more than that.

    There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

  9. #8
    Member Eeeb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Great Lakes - USofA
    Posts
    18,156

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    Quote Originally Posted by Ray MacDonald View Post
    Even if we do use the car analogy -and it's a good one - condition still is so important. One vintage Chevy is not the same as another that's been looked after better....
    Yep, and people pick up on that right away and usually on their own Then they realize watches are like that too...
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

    "The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

    ...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

  10. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1

    Re: Vintage watch-- need help

    I'm no watch expert, but I've joined the forum to offer some assistance on Simpson Samuell, which should help you date the watch.

    Simpson was born c1785, possbly in London. I believe he's related to the other Samuels (Louis & Moses)who came to Liverpool in the early 19thC, one of whom was responsible for establishing the shop which later became the chain H. Samuel.

    Simpson had children between c1814 & c1830. Only 2 of the sons are listed in census returns as being watchmakers: Edward Simpson Samuell born c1815, Livepool & Henry Samuell c1825, Liverpool. Simpson himself was described as "Independent" in 1841, so was possibly retired. He died early 1845.

    Considering that the eldest watchmaking son isn't likely to have entered the trade before the age of 15, and the date of Simpson's death, I'm guessing the watch can be dated to 1830-1845.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •