Vintage watch story

Thread: Vintage watch story

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage watch story

So my little brother buys a 1941 Packard with 5000 miles on it. Amazing car!!! He loves the car, and respects the milage, but does not get the history. I talk him into bringing it to a car show that I am a regular member of. When he gets there I hand him my '41 Gruen Curvex that I brought for him to use, and told him to take off his modern Seiko. He did, but he didn't get it. I told him what is was, and explained that it went with his car, not to break it, and that I needed it back.

A guy walks by later, and says something about Nimitz probably having a staff car like this, my little brother asks who Nimitz is. I was a Marine from '88-'93, and a history buff, so I gave my little brother a quick briefing of WWII. The guy was pretty impressed with my briefing. I show him my little brothers wrist. It turns out that he was wearing a new Rolex, but is an avid history buff. I was wearing my 1970 Omega Speedmaster MKII. After a more then a few drinks we are now friends.

I am still working on trying to interest my little brother in the history of his car, and to appreciate vintage watches. He is deaf to the song of Clio. I don't think it is a lost cause, but it may take a while...

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Re: Vintage watch story

Great car, great watch - perhaps a trade-in due on kid brother?

Oh your brother's Packard is nice! V-8 I assume. This must have been one of the last Packards made before WWII. I had an uncle with an inline-12 Packard from the 30's. It would pass anything except a gas station At least people who maintain old cars think service on old watches is cheap...

The watch and car definitely are a match. Nice post.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

What a beautiful car! Straight 8, I'm thinking, because Packard didn't use v8's till 1955. I love the old straight 8's. Great story, maybe you should check further into the history of the car, it may prove interesting also. Nimitz' staff car would be worth quite a bit, methinks.

Great story, watch and car.....thanks for posting

A lovely Packard. An earlier post stated inline 12 as an option, but there was no such thing ever for any car. Packard had 6 and 8 inline engines, and of course a V12, the twin six, a name later used by Jaguar on their Daimler V12 top model.
    Last edited by Erik_H; November 13th, 2010 at 19:22.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Hi -

In high-school shop (I know, that dates me!), we were privileged to work on a straight-8 pre-war Packard that belonged to the shop teacher. Unbeknown to us, he had a side business of vintage cars: he would buy one in need of work, and set 25 high-school kids to work over a year, rebuilding it from bottom to top and from the inside out, selling them once finished. He got the parts and knew the cars, we provided the labor. I worked on the transmission and helped grind valves. What a car, what an engine!

When it arrived, it was barely running and backfired almost constantly. Disassembling, there was massive play in the cylinders and the gaskets had to be replaced entirely. New cylinder linings were installed and the cylinder heads were re-ground. One of the planetary gears had missing teeth and had to be replaced with NOS.

The car was originally a pale green color which turned out to be the classic Packard green after 20 years outdoors. Our teacher (I can't remember his name, his nickname was "Mr. Wizard") scoured old workshops for enough paint to match it, but but found that the original paints were unusable because they were too old. We got the original paint down to the base primer, reprimed it and ended up using an oil-based housing paint (!) that came to be a pretty close match, 5 coats (paint, dry, sand, repeat), then waxed with a hard carnuba wax and buffed. Not much of the chrome survived and we removed it, he sent it out to be re-chromed. His girlfriend/wife (I think it was the former) sewed new cushions for the seats.

Learned a lot about cars from that senior year. Found out a few years later that he was making almost as much money reselling those cars as he was making teaching shop and chemistry.

He was a good chemistry teacher as well: taught us how to make explosives. Seeing how extraordinarily dangerous these could be cured a lot of high-school shenanigans...

JohnF

PS: Looked pretty similar to that picture, but unfortunately I have no pictures from that day...
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I just spoke to him. He said it was a V8.

On a similar note I just bought an '88 Constellation to go with my '88 Porsche 944 that I have been restomoding for the last two years. It is not here yet. I will post better pics when it arrives.

Last edited by stogie25; November 14th, 2010 at 00:52.
    To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

That's great--I love vintages!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    A lovely Packard. An earlier post stated inline 12 as an option, but there was no such thing ever for any car. Packard had 6 and 8 inline engines, and of course a V12, the twin six, a name later used by Jaguar on their Daimler V12 top model.
    You mean my uncle lied to me! ... oh well. Research shows they did develop one but it was not marketed.

I used to own an XJ-S with the Jaguar V-12. HUGE torque. ("Horsepower sells cars. Torque wins races." - Carroll Shelby) But I'm not old enough to have even seen a straight-8 Packard. (Ha! take that JohnF! )
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information