Vintage Watches from Uncle
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Vintage Watches from Uncle

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Watches from Uncle

I got a bunch of watches from my Uncle when he passed away and want to get the Longines and Bulova fixed up but I'm not sure if its worth it. They are sentimental to me at best, not trying to resale.

Bulova 30 Jewels Selfwinding 1966ish

Movement: 10CRACD. Minute and hour hand do no move. Otherwise in great condition, not original band.

Longines 1947ish

Face is worn, stem is loose and won't wind. Still ticks, staff or balance is off, it only keeps decent time when set on a flat surface. Sometimes stops on my wrist until I tilt it a certain way. Original band is with it, although 3 of the springs are broken.

Benrus (Unknown)

When I try to wind it it moves the hands.

Other watches
    In case anyone is curious about the other. I don't plan on fixing these.
    Last edited by Gaworski; February 23rd, 2015 at 06:44.
    busmatt and Shum like this.

Re: Vintage Watches from Uncle

I would definitely have the Bulova and Longines serviced. They are good watches and have sentimental value. The Bulova appears to be a Date King variant but I'm not certain.
    bobbee likes this.
    --Charlie

-Citizen -Seiko -Heuer -Steinhart -Bulova -TagHeuer

Just a slight O/T for my own selfish benefit (and slightly for OP perhaps)...is that Benrus housing an Enicar 412 movement?
    specto magis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Cellini is quite interesting. Mikrolisk lists two Cellini brands in 4 separate results- one registered to Rolex, the other first to J.Mutter-Kappeler, then to P.Kollros-Kapeller.
    The Milos watch was made by Savoy, an American company importing Swiss movements.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Sorry for your loss.

+1...Servicing the Bulova and the Longines is a great idea - if you plan to wear them. BTW - The balance in the Longines may turn out to be OK, dirty pivots can sometimes act like this (not just damaged pivots).

Quote Originally Posted by Paleotime View Post
    Sorry for your loss.

+1...Servicing the Bulova and the Longines is a great idea - if you plan to wear them. BTW - The balance in the Longines may turn out to be OK, dirty pivots can sometimes act like this (not just damaged pivots).
    The only problem is that there aren't really any watchmakers in the city I live in, and the one who lives here charges a fortune and has a 30 day average return. How much should be the roof of what I should pay to have these pieces overhauled/repaired? I don't really want to spend a fortune repairing these things and I'm hoping all they need is a good cleaning. The minimum for the local watch maker, who seems a bit shady, just to look at the piece is 80 dollars. The website appears very unprofessional and the prices seem a bit high for just looking at the watch, and repairs only come with a 1 year warranty.

The other option is buying a watch tool kit and practicing on some of my movements I have bought from antique shops for under 10 dollars. I have some practice repairing old film cameras but I'm not too sure how that carries over.

Extensive and/or Vintage Quote, $79.95 - Bestfix Watch Company
    Vintage Chronograph Watch Repair

I am assuming your in Texas...I have been to Denton, but I can't remember why...Service costs vary by region - here in Idaho a basic mechanical service is about $125-150, with autos running about an additional $25.

An active member of the watchmaking forum here "Benchguy" is a watchmaker from central Texas...perhaps a PM to him could get you a local recommendation.

Doing your own service is, of course an option and it is a route that I ended up taking - but the learning curve is steep and the basic tools to even have a chance of pulling it off with run you in the neighborhood of what professional service would cost.

I like that Swank watch.
    Bodyblue likes this.

Banned

I have bought and sold (and kept a few) many Benrus watches and have always been amazed at how tough they are and how good they run. It looks pretty clean inside as well. The case is nice and will look good with some polishing and the face has a nice patina, I think its handsome. Do any of them actually run? The 67 Bulova is quite the looker as well. I know a lot of people dont think its a good idea to run an old watch, but I think you should gently move the hands then try to wind them just a bit (shake the Bully) and watch them for an hour or two. If they run and keep even halfway decent time that will tell you if it needs a cleaning or if it needs repair. When I buy the 15 or so vintage watches a month I do, I will buy a unit that will at least tick. If they dont run, I dont buy them (unless its something exotic).....the biggest BS line in the watch world is "oh, all it needs is a good cleaning to run". Sometimes its true but IMHO, most of the time its not. If you are going to wear them, start with the one you like the best, get it looked at then go from there.....do what you can, when you can!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The Benrus DN 10 is based on the ETA 1281 which is also found as the Benrus DN 2F:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Benrus DN2F (ETA 1281)

Hartmut Richter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information