Vintage Westbury Watch. Info appreciated.

Thread: Vintage Westbury Watch. Info appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Vintage Westbury Watch. Info appreciated.

I recently purchased this Westbury watch. I'm trying to find more information on it and the brand, but can't seem to find much on the internet. I know that it is swiss made, but that is about it.

I was hoping to replace the gold band with a brown leather one (I don't think the gold band is original because of its lighter gold color). I like the watch, but I don't want to end up spending lots of money on a band if the watch isn't worth anything (I paid $3.99 at a thrift store).

I appreciate any info you can give me.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Vintage Westbury Watch. Info appreciated.

Hi

I don't know the brand at all. We don't do valuations - but the watch is definitely collectable and similar watches go on ebay for at least 10x what you paid. Yours, though an obscure make, is in outstandingly clean condition. If you decide to keep it, then you should consider having it serviced to ensure that you don't do damage by running it with dried out oils. If you're in doubt, I'll take it off yours hands...
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Some of the true experts will respond, while I haven't heard of Westbury watch, collectors like complications. A triple date moon phase watch will draw interest and thus have value even from a pedestrian maker. I think it's safe to say you did well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I know about the no evaluations, I read the sticky :) That's why i just wanted to find out a 'general' value, as in would spending $30-40 for a decent leather strap be worth it.

Also, I would like to learn more about the brand and when it was made. I read in another post that anti-magnetic watches were made after the 1940's... so that's a start :)

Thanks again, I appreciate everyone's help.

There are several movements made by movement houses that provide Day-Date-Moonphase complications. Of more relevance than the name on the dial is the type of movement used.

Of course, if you are worried about value, watches of this type that have "Heuer" or "Breitling" on the dial are more valuable than those that have "Rodina" or "Westbury"... but they aren't any better watches for the most part.

Yours looks to be in nice condition. I'd loose the 'twistoflex' type band as it will often gouge the lugs over time.
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

You can learn a lot about your watch by using the 'search this forum' key and using the key words "pointer date" and "triple date" watches. I would certainly rate this watch as worth a good strap and a service. A watch can self destruct if not lubricated properly. As far as the cost of a service it depends on location.

Thanks, that's really what I wanted to know. I'm going to look into getting it serviced, and I'll look for a nice matching strap.

Any ideas on how old this watch is?

Thanks again.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Lovely watch! Mid fifties to early sixties is what I'd say. Perhaps a little earlier but unlikely to be later.

Hartmut Richter

I got a new strap for it today. Out of all the ones I looked at it, this one seems to be 'just right'.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I personally like it, very classy. and you've got a bargain there!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information