Vintage What Is her-indoors wearing.
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By slopingsteve

Thread: Vintage What Is her-indoors wearing.

Vintage What Is her-indoors wearing.

If you are extremely lucky like me you will have a partner who was completely under-awed by your increasing obsession with old watches but who has, as time went on and she/he started to learn a bit as well, come to appreciate the understated beauty and complexity of your hobby. This makes for a bonus when you pick up a lovely old watch at the boot sale and it is too small for for you to wear but not too small for you to buy. Often a ladies watch is a fraction of what a man's would be in the same style from the same maker. This is an excellent reason for buying lovely things, on your own, early in the morning and surprising her with them when she wakes up, but, - and call me an old romantic if you like - it is even better when walking round an antiques fair or charity shop and she spots something that you hadn't seen and the two of you go into a huddle, whispering over the pros and cons etc, and you think " Yea, that will look good on her", and you know she deserves it for putting up with you in the first place.
    Name:  SAM_7436.JPG
Views: 73
Size:  1.20 MB
    There is the odd occasion when you buy a watch for yourself and it somehow migrates to her watch box on a lease-lend basis; that is you "lend" it to her and the "lease" said about it after that, the better. The two on the right have been victims of this phenomenon.
    The one on the left is one that I have put together myself because I can't afford an original complete one,
    Name:  SAM_7439.JPG
Views: 69
Size:  961.5 KB
    but it works and brings a smile to her face when she wears it.
    The second from the left is an example of what I was talking about earlier with the whispering and huddling and stuff. We bought it not working from an antique shop for a song and found that it needed just one screw tightening inside to restore it to life. This makes her smile as well. It is good when she smiles when we talk about watches because she is lovely when she smiles and it also makes my life a whole lot easier.
    LightDot, jimdon5822 and bubba48 like this.

Re: Vintage What Is her-indoors wearing.

Great conversation. I wish my wife and daughter appreciated watches. I have 6 gold ladies watches and just picked up an 18kt Piaget Dancer. Also a ladies Seiko Professional diver from 1977 and an Elgin Precision diver from the 60's. All they want to wear are their I-watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Name:  SAM_7434.JPG
Views: 30
Size:  1.23 MB

Here are a few more of the missus'.
    The Sicuras are amazing designs especially the blue one which has a huge chunk of perspex standing proud of the front.
    The Selza on the right is just one of the many Selzas I have picked up over the years since a Selza started me along this particular collecting path.
    The Mother-of-pearl one was the oldest I had ever found but the movement was difficult to keep going and find parts for so I slapped a slightly more recent movement in which I knew was reliable only to find that the mainspring was broken. Amazingly though it still runs for 10 hours on the energy that can be stored in it. This particular watch has been the subject of many conversations among my female friends, mainly about how beautiful and ladylike it is but I still reckon that it was probably made for a man around about 1905.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by jimdon5822 View Post
    Great conversation. I wish my wife and daughter appreciated watches. I have 6 gold ladies watches and just picked up an 18kt Piaget Dancer. Also a ladies Seiko Professional diver from 1977 and an Elgin Precision diver from the 60's. All they want to wear are their I-watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let's have some pictures!!

Thread Information