VINTAGE WITTNAUER HELP
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: VINTAGE WITTNAUER HELP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VINTAGE WITTNAUER HELP

Hello guys
    Im looking to buy a vintage watch for my wedding and ive been forced to look outside of the omega brand since finding an original one at a reasonable price is becoming more impossible.

at my local watch shop, i found this Wittnauer. it looks nice to my inexperienced eye, but thats why im posting it here. assuming the movement and everything that you cant see about this watch checks out, how much should i pay for this and also is it a good brand from a watch connoisseurs point of view? or is it not a good watch/movement?

[IMG]https://imgur.com/gallery/yDdQS[IMG]

Re: VINTAGE WITTNAUER HELP

Well from that picture (which is little information to go on - really need full range of pics including movement) looks like a pretty original all honest Wittnauer from the 60's. Is is a linen dial? probably polished in the past as the lugs are a little uneven (or that is the angle of the photo??) although still retains original form. We don't do valuations so eBay competed listing is a good place to start. Guessing from Wittnauer that it is 34-35mm?? It's a nice looking watch but I have a soft spot for wittnauer... Do your homework and I can't imagine paying too much (yep relative!!!) for a watch like this or similar... Don't get sucked into the vintage hype... They made squillions of watches similar in the 60's

Good luck with your search and impending nuptials...
    busmatt likes this.
    So many watches.....so little time.....

From that one photo, I don't see any obvious concerns, but it's impossible to guess at a value without much more information (size, material, movement, etc.). What is your budget?
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

well the price its set at is 350 at my local shop. im just not sure if this brand is even worth that or if its a fantastic deal lol.

Last edited by badbackdan; February 21st, 2018 at 03:45.
    busmatt and avogev like this.

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    Well, if $350 is your budget, it really isn't worth your time to keep looking for a SS Omega, but there are other brands you could consider.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/5223630...home_active_14

https://www.etsy.com/listing/3997927...ls-1960s-dress
    oh no i meant the wittnauer was 350.

Is it worth it?, with that one picture, I would say no. Has it been recently serviced? Is there proof, paperwork or something that verifies it? can not help much with just that picture
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

avogev...Hello. I have always liked Wittnauer, and have worked on & owned several. Their movements are almost always well-finished, and show a clear attention to detail, and an appreciation for traditional watchmaking.

Having said this, I will also say that $350 seems too high for this watch. Of course, the Shop needs to make a profit, but I would take some more time & look around. Really nice watches can and do show up in unexpected places, and an Independent shop can frequently work wonders with a not-too-good-looking piece that you may have found in, say, a second-hand store or small antique shop. I have discovered many watches that were less than $100, that were worth quite a bit more, once they were cleaned & lightly restored...

Good Hunting! Michael.
    avogev likes this.

im really liking that first movado.
    can anyone elaborate on it? i know nothing of that brand other than their recent lineup which, from what i understand, is a joke in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by avogev View Post
    im really liking that first movado.
    can anyone elaborate on it? i know nothing of that brand other than their recent lineup which, from what i understand, is a joke in comparison.
    Good quality watch from the 1960s, stainless case with over-polished back. No movement photos unfortunately. Crystal needs replacement. Dial and hands look original to me; crown probably a replacement. Seller takes returns. Price is high.

Movado from the 1950s and 1960s seem a bit undervalued to me, but I think of them as similar in quality to Eterna. At the time it was a very well respected brand that made excellent watches with in-house movements. Some of their chronographs and triple-date calendar watches are very desirable. At some point in the 1960s, there was a partnership between Movado and Zenith, but I don't know the details.
    avogev likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information