Vintage Wyler Restoration Help

Thread: Vintage Wyler Restoration Help

Vintage Wyler Restoration Help

I'm looking into restoring one of my father's old watches. It's a Wyler Dynawind(Automatic). From the info gathered, he purchased the watch anywhere from late 60's-71. I don't know much about the watch, such as caliber, production quality, vice versa. The case seems to be dark rose gold tone. I cann't tell the difference from tone to solid Gold. Can anybody help me with more info on this watch and also refer me to somebody who could help me with the restoration?

Here is a quick vid of the watch for visual confirmation.

Thanks

Re: Vintage Wyler Restoration Help

Looks like a good, clean, working watch with the original bracelet, not seeming to need much restoration. Nice family history, too.
    I'm not sure if Falcon (check the sponsor page) will service anything other Glycine, but it is worth a call as they are outstanding.
    Otherwise, a local watchmaker should be able to service the watch and clean the case & bracelet. Try to get some references before deciding.
    I don't suggest much in the way of polishing as the watch is likely gold-filled or plated.

Quote Originally Posted by timesofplenty View Post
    Looks like a good, clean, working watch with the original bracelet, not seeming to need much restoration. Nice family history, too.
    I'm not sure if Falcon (check the sponsor page) will service anything other Glycine, but it is worth a call as they are outstanding.
    Otherwise, a local watchmaker should be able to service the watch and clean the case & bracelet. Try to get some references before deciding.
    I don't suggest much in the way of polishing as the watch is likely gold-filled or plated.
    The movement has not been serviced for about 40 years, do u recomend getting that serviced? I think it's a standard ETA movement, although, not sure. It's very difficult to find much info on this watch. The crystal has a few scratches. The case and band look a little worn, flaking. The bracelet fits me a little tight, so I was thinking maybe going with a strap. You think I could avoid polishing the case and just have a pro clean it very well?

My plans to the watch are as follow
    *Strap
    *New Crystal if Old Cann't be restored
    *Try to get the case look a little, maybe a good clean could susbtitue a polishing of the case
    *Movement Serviced

Thanks for the reply

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

clear close-up still shots of the watch and bracelet would be great.

Most crystals are easily replaced, and many can be polished to look nearly new.

IMO a watch with the original bracelet is preferable to one with a replacement strap. Links will not be easy to find, but there are clasp extenders available that are unobtrusive.

From my experience, once plating starts peeling or flaking, there isn't much to be done beyond preservation.
    It is possible to have parts re-plated, but it is a failry complicated and costly process.

A cleaning of the case and band when the mvt is serviced (likely needed after 40yrs) should make the appearance much better, and the watch should run and keep good time for many more years.

Definately needs service. The lubricants they used forty years ago (heck, even the ones they use today) will have dried out after that long, so every time the watch ticks, you're sanding down the pinions.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by abslomrob View Post
    definately needs service. The lubricants they used forty years ago (heck, even the ones they use today) will have dried out after that long, so every time the watch ticks, you're sanding down the pinions.

Thread Information