Vintage Zenith
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Vintage Zenith

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Vintage Zenith

Hello, everyone. I'd appreciate if you took a look at the Zenith specimen below. It seems to be original and in fine condition, compared to similar ones for sale on eBay. It's equipped with caliber 2552PC, which places it between 1969-1972, according to Dr. Ranfft. Gold plated case, non-original crown.

Caught my attention that dreadful green, plastic frame around the movement. I saw other specimens with this feature. Is it normal? Was it possibly messed out?

Name:  zen9_1.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  228.0 KBName:  zen9_2.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  134.4 KBName:  zen9_3.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  278.0 KBName:  zen9_4.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  285.7 KB
    arogle1stus likes this.
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.
    All art is quite useless."

Oscar Wilde

"Vou-me embora pra Pasárgada
    Lá sou amigo do rei
    Lá tenho a mulher que eu quero
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Vintage Zenith

Looks like quite a decent watch - congratulations! The "dreadful green plastic" is the movement holder ring. Without it, the movement would move around a little inside the case and could stop or have the rotor scratching on the case. I have seen such green rings before but never in a Zenith. Personally, unless you have the case replaced by something with a glass window, I wouldn't worry: it does the job and even if it's a replacement, it should not detract from the overall value of the watch.

Hartmut Richter

That green movement-spacer ring is so ghastly that it is awesome--don't change it!
    There is something more to the art of watchmaking and repairing than that of merely assembling a watch and making it 'tick.'
    ---Walter Kleinlein, Rules and Practice for Adjusting Watches (1940)

Member, National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors

My blog about precision timing: AdjustingVintageWatches.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

such a pretty and clean looking zenith you got there sir.
    Got similar one myself without the date, 2542 movement, but the dial is not as clean and preserved ad yours
    Really love the dressy look

Sent from my SM-G9287C using Tapatalk
    Elvis Silva likes this.

Well, gentlemen, thank you for your appreciation. I'm glad I could provide you a moment of amusement with my somewhat scandalized reaction to the movement holder. In fact, I find it quite an off putting element in the overall picture of 2552 caliber, considering how handsome it is. It's something like inserting an electric synthesizer solo in the middle of a Schubert piano sonata: an outrageous irony confronting the gravitas of pure beauty...

As a matter of fact, I found another specimen for sale, equipped with the same caliber. This one has a solid gold case and a curious burgundy red dial. Sorry for the quality of the pictures, but they're all I could get:

Name:  zen2.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  229.5 KBName:  zen3.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  237.0 KBName:  zen4.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  179.8 KB
    Name:  zen1.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  217.4 KB

It seems quite nice as well, but it's three times the price of the previous one, because of its golden case... So, I'm still figuring out what to do. The first one is nicely priced; my number two is a very curious piece, but rather expensive. Some more insights would be deeply appreciated, lads.
    Last edited by Elvis Silva; June 3rd, 2017 at 13:09.
    marcel2812 likes this.
    "We can forgive a man for making a useful thing as long as he does not admire it. The only excuse for making a useless thing is that one admires it intensely.

Oscar Wilde

Lá sou amigo do rei
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

personally, i like the look of the first one better....the green stuff is just a replacement holder. i believe u can have it replaced without spending much. but yea the burgundy one is kinda different

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

If you don't like the green bit and that's the only thing preventing you from buying it, I'm sure you could get a watchmaker to find a suitable (but still generic) replacement.....

Hartmut Richter

Quote Originally Posted by marcel2812 View Post
    personally, i like the look of the first one better....the green stuff is just a replacement holder. i believe u can have it replaced without spending much. but yea the burgundy one is kinda different

The green movement ring is the original Zenith part. It replaced metal ring at 70's, same time when Zenith started co-operation with Movado. Idea is that plastic ring gives movement protection against knocks and also is cheaper to produce. It does not make sense to franken the watch only because of you do not like the color of movement ring. Elvis, do not open the case and then you do not see the ring, problem solved.
    marcel2812 and Elvis Silva like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hessu View Post
    The green movement ring is the original Zenith part. It replaced metal ring at 70's, same time when Zenith started co-operation with Movado. Idea is that plastic ring gives movement protection against knocks and also is cheaper to produce. It does not make sense to franken the watch only because of you do not like the color of movement ring. Elvis, do not open the case and then you do not see the ring, problem solved.
    that is so educational...haha that's why i love this forum

anyway i agree...dont get too bother with the green stuff...you are not wearing the watch inside out anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Hessu View Post

Ok, Hessu. Thank you very much for the useful information. If I come to purchase the piece, I'll certainly let it be, with all its oddities.

And to all my comrades that admire Zenith, I pray you don't take too hard my thing with the so called "green plastic ring affair"! When I mentioned it, my intention was more in the sense of making a picturesque and humorous remark about something that seemed quite odd to me, not to abase in any way such a fine piece of horology. Was it already in my hands, I wouldn't cease to admire the whole of it, including its inside face.

It's just me, you know: I'm kind of an obssessive guy when it comes to things like organization, balance, symmetry and harmony. When someone puts anything like a bit of disorder in my world, I get in the verge of freakin' out, sometimes. And it used to be worse!! Some years of therapy, a down to earth wife and two little kids (a boy and a girl) have made me come to terms, to some extent, with the natural entropy of the world...
    marcel2812 likes this.

Oscar Wilde

Lá sou amigo do rei
    Na cama que escolherei."

Manuel Bandeira

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information