Is this vintage Zenith a fake?
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Is this vintage Zenith a fake?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this vintage Zenith a fake?

FrenchKiss likes this.
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\/\

Re: Is this vintage Zenith a fake?

The movement and case seem genuine to me. But first of all it is a truly horrible redial.
    Triton9, SW2201 and SilkeN like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

In this case-the dial puts me of completely. That said I can't tell if it is a franken in any other ways.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    The movement and case seem genuine to me. But first of all it is a truly horrible redial.
    Fully agree. The seller even dare to ask for $2300? I think seller shall just sell the movement and casing as spares. The dial can be dump away.
    " A great time piece on your wrist show you are serious of time "

As spares- not necessarily. Replating the hands and finding a genuine dial in a good condition (bloody hard to find) should do the trick. The price did make me laugh for a while- this watch is worth no more than the value of gold in it...
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Zenith Chronograph 18K Rose Gold Cal 156 D Manual 1950’s Large | eBay

Another one with a bad re-dial. The strangest thing for me is how "pink" the gold is - very different to other models I've seen. Even the colour of the inner and outer case back is different. I messaged the seller and he is insistent that it is a genuine item.
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\/\

A redial it is. About the case, I wouldn't dismiss it straight away. On the outside, where in the pictures you can see the sides of the case and part of caseback, the shade of gold is the same. The inside of the caseback might seem different due to the finish combined with lighting and the angle. On the outside, the surface under the lugs seems to be brushed rather than mirror-polished like the caseback.
    I would simply call it a redial at an outrageous price.
    SW2201 likes this.
    Edgar Allan Poe

George Orwell

Erich Maria Remarque

Maybe I should stop looking for ghosts where there are none :)
    /\/¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\/\

You've established that it's not a good one, but really, to pile in… it's a solid gold case with a cheap unsigned GP crown. A truly dreadful redial. Hands that don't match and anyway look like the cheapest steel punched rubbish. Truly, truly awful. I'm shocked. I'm guessing – being nice about it – that they guy found himself with a turkey on his hands and is trying to pass it off on some newbie. But I suggest that WUS is the wrong place to try; of course, on eBay , he'd be lucky to get a quarter of the asking price. I just can't believe it. Ghosts? A stake through the heart would be the thing you need.
    Last edited by Habitant; August 5th, 2015 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Habitant View Post
    You've established that it's not a good one, but really, to pile in… it's a solid gold case with a cheap unsigned GP crown. A truly dreadful redial. Hands that don't match and anyway look like the cheapest steel punched rubbish. Truly, truly awful. I'm shocked. I'm guessing – being nice about it – that they guy found himself with a turkey on his hands and is trying to pass it off on some newbie. But I suggest that WUS is the wrong place to try; of course, on eBay , he'd be lucky to get a quarter of the asking price. I just can't believe it. Ghosts? A stake through the heart would be the thing you need.
    And that basically sums up the first link
    I did not look at the second
    a
    EDIT
    I just looked - its WORSE!!
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; August 5th, 2015 at 23:13.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information