Vintage Zenith Sporto

Thread: Vintage Zenith Sporto

Vintage Zenith Sporto

I have inherited a vintage zenith sporto. It winds and runs but needs a new battery. I have tried to do some research but cant seem to pin down what year it is from. Its movement is beautiful and clean as can be with a glass shield protecting it. A few things I see that most of the pictures I have seen online dont have: It has a red second hand, and it does not have the secondary dial on the face (the small one, not sure what it is called). I will post a picture as soon as I get my camera. Any information would help. Thanks iin advance

Re: Vintage Zenith Sporto

Quote Originally Posted by Nonno View Post
    It winds and runs but needs a new battery.
    It can't both wind and need a battery, Nonno. Is it quartz or mechanical? I bet it's mechanical, as I am not at all sure that the Sporto model line continued into the quartz years. If so, it could date from the mid 50s into the mid 70s. We'll need a pic.
    Last edited by LouS; January 31st, 2011 at 04:44.

I've owned a couple Sporto models...very nice pieces. Here's one:

Regards from Sunny San Diego..........Tom

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nono-why do you think the watch needs a battery? Is there anything on the back to indicate a battery cap or cover? if it truly winds-as in makes a ratcheting sound when winding but doesnt run then it most likely is a) dirt or dust b) needs a service c) is broken or d) all of the above.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I'm sorry I really know nothing about watches. My grandfather was a watchmaker and recently passed. I inherited a huge lot of vintage watches including this piece which really caught my eye. As you can see the second hand is loose, the wheel on the inside is turning and I can rotate the hands, but it wont keep time for a long period of time. The pictures arent great but it is the best I can get for the time being. The inside of the back cover reads "Acier inoxydable Zenith Sporto swiss made" from top to bottom. The movement reads "Zenith Swiss made 18 jewels" and the outside of the back cover has a serial number on it. It is not in the greatest condition but it seems that a little TLC would go along way. Any information would be greatly appreciated Thanks.

http://s1028.photobucket.com/albums/y348/shznik77/

I cant get the uploader to work so hopefully this link does. The first three pics are it.
    Last edited by Nonno; February 3rd, 2011 at 01:09.

wow. lucky you. I dont know much about the pockets but the Certina, Omega, and the chrongraph all look like promising projects that will make fantastic watches to wear or sell. Plus all the rolex parts are very desirable on any auction site. In fact, you can probably get a movemnt for the GMT case and make out very very well as the really expensive rolex parts are the bezel, bracelet, crystal and case and you have all 4. good luck and get to work!
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

I know I am very lucky, Thank you. If only I had the resources and equities necessary to make my dreams come true... thats why I am here, to see what is worth investing into and what is not. Its just I have so many parts that it is impossible to ask about all of them.

Hey guys just wanted to give a bit of an update, I found out that it is a Cal. 120T which would date it back to the early 60's. I still have not found a picture of the exact dial yet, but at least I know about the movement. Thanks again for all the help, and pacificchrono, your sporto is beautiful I wish mine had a black dial.

Thread Information