VOG - warning, picture heavy
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: VOG - warning, picture heavy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

VOG - warning, picture heavy

French makers seemed to have had a great fondness for 3 letter names, LIP, LOV, RAR, UTI, DOP, VEC, PIL, IKE, TYL, LUX, WIL etc, etc.

For those of you not bored silly with my apparent obsession with French brands here’s another one you may not have come across before, VOG, “distr. par Kody”.

VOG, a Parisian brand, is inextricably linked with another French make, Kody, also of Paris, In fact I am certain that similarly to Mirus and Altitude, that VOG was in fact a Kody brand with purely French content. Kody, founded in 1922, used the slogan, “La montre Suisse habillée à Paris”, literally, “the Swiss watch dressed in Paris” in its advertising during the 1920’s. Their watches in 1920’s, mostly ladies watches it seems, all appear to have had Swiss movements, and they offered solid gold watches too.One of their adverts recommends their watches as suitable to be worn when playing golf, polo and tennis, which seems to be defining their target market as being rather higher than the norm for the majority of French brands of the time. There is no doubt that Kody was a top end brand in the late 1950’s, an advert of 1957 shows four of their ladies watches, priced between 18,500ffr and 48,000ffr, making the highest priced ladies Kody at today’s prices in the region of justover £2,000.

At the same time VOG advertised extensively as “La montre en vogue”, and again their advertising largely featured ladies wrist watches. They used celebrities to endorse their brand, and featured, amongst others Princess Vatchnadze, a Russian émigré socialite associated with Marlene Deitrich and Dolly Davis, a celebrated French film star of the 1920’s and 30’s.

VOG’s advertising at this period was noted for its extensive use of the Art Deco style, and, judging by the retailers where VOG watches were stocked, the brand was aimed at the middle class aspirants of Paris. It is also noticeable that most of the same outlets where the watches were stocked are also featured in Kody’s advertising.

VOG as an independent brand seems to have disappeared by the end of 1940’s to be replaced by “VOG distr. par Kody”, signally its dependence on Kody, and by 1957 Kody advertised VOG’s “guaranteed by Kody” at prices between 4,800ffrto 12,500ffr, so they were distinctly at the lower end of the food chain as far as Kody were concerned, at between £190 and £525 in current money. So it’s clear that VOG was indeed a sub-brand of Kody,

Kody became Kody SARL in 1956 and is still in business at 176 rue du Temple, Paris, and are listed in trade directories as makers as of gold watches, with, depending on the listing viewed, either 1 or 3 employees. Theydo not appear to have a website, but I have emailed them asking if they can add any more to the relationship between themselves and VOG, but have had no reply as yet.

So, after that over long preamble here we have a “VOG distr.par Kody”, with a movement inscribed “VOG cal 80”, which really can’t disguise the fact that is actually a Parrenin HP 90 from the late 1940’s/early 1950’s.

If you got this far, thanks indeed for reading all the way to the end,

howards4th likes this.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

Re: VOG - warning, picture heavy

Another interesting read!

Also a big fan of the vintage advertising.... certainly helps to place any given watch to an era/style.

As for the French and their 3 letter names.... VOG seems to be scraping the barrel... not a 'nice' sounding name in English.... but guess it has some link to Vogue?

Nice pic up!

Marc
    A designer knows he has achieved perfection not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Twitter: quickpicmarc

Indeed - another wonderful contribution. I must go on holiday to France again soon and find a proper flea market!
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcster View Post
    Another interesting read!

Also a big fan of the vintage advertising.... certainly helps to place any given watch to an era/style.

As for the French and their 3 letter names.... VOG seems to be scraping the barrel... not a 'nice' sounding name in English.... but guess it has some link to Vogue?

Nice pic up!

Marc
    I believe it was used in the 20's to mean "en vogue", up to the minute, I admit I've not heard it used anymore, but it's probably better than hearing an anglo saxon going on about his "REC" or even his "Arsa"
    Last edited by john87300; May 18th, 2012 at 16:18.
    John
    Watch Website: www.chambresdebelair.com/watches.html last update 07/11/2012

must be saving ink cost with only using 3 letters. Marrick you would be like a kid in a candy store if you went over to france

Great post, good read.
    Love these old ads.
    Thank you.

Hi John!

Nice watch and again an interesting article about a part of the French watch industry. So you are "en VOG" now ...
    Best regards, Mike

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

I think that they just couldn't be fagged to think of another set of letters if they ever decided to import movements to the US to manufacture there.....

Nice watch!

Hartmut Richter

Cool Watch, Great read, Thanks John! 3 letter names are the way to go, gets the point across fast!

So if I just search on ebay and make up some 3 letter words at random, this should flag some french made watches, easy lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information