Von Ribbentrop's watch found...

Thread: Von Ribbentrop's watch found...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Von Ribbentrop's watch found...

quite the "watch journey":

Von Ribbentrop's watch - Telegraph

Re: Von Ribbentrop's watch found...

I know that store on Melrose Ave (not Place), too, "Wanna Buy A Watch". They sell online too
    "My grail showed up today"

Some story!! And some dilema too!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Strange. If I want a watch to be inscribed with my name, initials or the family crest, I would do it on the outside of the caseback.
    If my memory serves me correctly, he was one of the last to join the NSAP in the group surrounding AH. 1933 to 1935 or something

No, I think this is a nice way to try to cash in on the much sought after memorabilia from that party and that era.

Also, if you had a $200 watch, would you bother placing it in a Bank safe?? Not likely, specially as the owner does not seem to be a WIS.
    Last edited by Janne; September 14th, 2010 at 04:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Strange. If I want a watch to be inscribed with my name, initials or the family crest, I would do it on the outside of the caseback.
    If my memory serves me correctly, he was one of the last to join the NSAP in the group surrounding AH. 1933 to 1935 or something

No, I think this is a nice way to try to cash in on the much sought after memorabilia from that party and that era.

Also, if you had a $200 watch, would you bother placing it in a Bank safe?? Not likely, specially as the owner does not seem to be a WIS.

The claim that Southebys attests to this needs to be verified. Longines has excellent records and can supply the original buyer and casing specifics via serial number. This smells wrong.

Oh, wait a minute... this is a play!! LOL
    "Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

hmm...interesting points.

it will be interesting to see if anyone challenges it.

If this story is legit I would sell the watch(thats if I had no real interests in watches like the owner) I agree with the posts on the article that it's a piece of history that should remain intact or in a museum(gee, I bet the guy didnt think about donating it to a museum) Whoever said to smash it is a moron.

Banned

History should never be manipulated. To destroy a historical piece is a crime.

What was it, 16 weeks to authenticate?

Quote Originally Posted by RGNY View Post
    quite the "watch journey":

Von Ribbentrop's watch - Telegraph
    Sothebys name notwithstanding, I would want a lot more details on how they established provenance. German WWII era stuff is widely collected so there are a lot of very good fakes that have been around enough to accumulate some patina.

Is it possible that the Ribbentrop watch turned up in a second-hand (Pawn) watch shop in Los Angeles over 60 years after his death? Sure. And all of the Bought-My-Antique-For-$10-Worth-$50,000 stories on Antiques Roadshow are possible too. Just not likely.

Wait a minute -There are stranger things under heaven. Being an antiques and collectibles dealer Ive wandered here and there in my quest for the all mighty deal. Many of you have found watches worth far more than what you paid for them. Ive paid a few dollars for things that eventually went at auction for 3,000 dollars. Not quite in the same league, but same idea. I have on my wall a California impressionist painting by a fellow named Melendez. Sotheby and Freemans both gave me an auction quote of 7-10,000 dollars or there abouts. Im not selling it. But I paid 2 bucks for it at a porch sale. So don t be such a kill joy. Im waiting to find a Fra Angelica painting for under 10 bucks and retire. Wish me luck. As for .... stuff Ive found a few ghetto coins and script that I couldnt bring myself to sell and basically gave to Jewish institutions and other various destinations, but I couldnt sell them. If he can afford to the owner of the watch might want to give it to a museum as some one else suggested. Frankly if I were hard up, Id sell the thing. The Jewish,gypsie, Enemy of the state, Gay, .... .... driven Holocaust is sadly one of many, right up to today.......I could go on and on......... P&P
    Last edited by parrotandpitbull; September 14th, 2010 at 18:22. Reason: miss spelling 2 times

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information