Vulcain

Thread: Vulcain

Vulcain

I'm looking at a Vulcain on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-NEW-NICE-SWI...item2ead169a50), and althoug I love the sheer, clean simplicity of it, something just strikes me as wrong.

There are no pictures of the movement, and the only place its signed is on the dial (even though it might be a poor redial?). I don't see a signed crown or caseback.

The seller is advertising this as NOS, but I wonder.

Any feedback? I'd be curious to hear others and their comments.

Cheers,

Jim

Re: Vulcain

It looks good, My vulcain does not have the back or crown marked but the movement is and so is the inside of the back so I would ask those questions before buying.
    1979 5513 Submariner
    1977 Timex Milspec Custom Conversion
    1966 Timex 600 Skindiver
    1969 Benrus US Military Issued
    1961 Belforte Sheppard AFB
    1961 Omega Seamaster

"Time spent waiting between the seconds is only conspiring to make me older" DV 2018
    "I don't always agree with everybody but when I do it's because I'm Right"
    DV 2011
    Dirtvictim The Watch Mechanic.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimw View Post
    I'm looking at a Vulcain on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/NOS-NEW-NICE-SWISS-MADE-VULCAIN-WATCH-1960S-/200472435280?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Wristwatches&hash=ite m2ead169a50), and althoug I love the sheer, clean simplicity of it, something just strikes me as wrong.

There are no pictures of the movement, and the only place its signed is on the dial (even though it might be a poor redial?). I don't see a signed crown or caseback.

The seller is advertising this as NOS, but I wonder.

Any feedback? I'd be curious to hear others and their comments.

Cheers,

Jim
    I have several Vulcain's and none of them have a signed crown. The movement, inside caseback and dial are all signed. From what I can tell it looks to be original. It's very easy to find NOS Vulcain watches for some reason. One of my dealers came across several of them recently.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd also take a look at the other watches the seller has open for bid. If the pictures of those watches show movements and more and this one doesn't, that could be a reason to be cautious. And no need to remind you to check their feedback ratings, if they've been selling dubious goods it will reflect there.
    I've got more Converse sneakers than watches, but it is a close race.

I have looked at the offerings of this particular seller he has 3034 transactions and a 100% rating. There is never a movement picture with his listings. I have more questions about the companies that made these watches. They mostly date from the peak of the quartz crisis. I question if the quality is the same as five years earlier.

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nsmike View Post
    I have looked at the offerings of this particular seller he has 3034 transactions and a 100% rating. There is never a movement picture with his listings. I have more questions about the companies that made these watches. They mostly date from the peak of the quartz crisis. I question if the quality is the same as five years earlier.
    I have a 1960's Vulcain that is amazingly accurate. It keeps the best time out of all my automatics that I have measured. I wore that specific Vulcain for 5 days and over that period it lost 1 second.
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

I'm watching a NOS watch on eBay right now. I messaged the seller and asked him since it's a NOS if it includes the box and papers...

He answered:
    Hi,
    this watch is used but still very new! I do not know much about watches.
    thanks
    I told him it's not fair to list a used watch as a NOS, and he apologised, but he didn't change the listing...

Ask your seller if the NOS Vulcain includes box and papers...
    Cataratas do Iguaçu, Brazil => http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KyiwSscdo

Hi Jimw

I have some doubts about to the seller´s claim of being NOS ,
    Maybe are the pics but I find the crown "cheap" , I mean seems to be a generic one. The presence of a sticker is not a guarantee of being new.

I also have some Vulcain watches and chronographs and particularly in several of my Crickets the crown is signed . My advice is similar to others : ask to seller for more information .

saludos

Kingmatic

Thread Information