Is Vulcan worth buying?

Thread: Is Vulcan worth buying?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is Vulcan worth buying?

I have been noticing the Vulcain Wrist watches are in my price range or lightly out of them. Other than being a name that brings back fond memories of the Silver Screen what do they have to offer. Do they have a pedigree like my Solar by Rolex or are they a mixed bag of quality movements, who knows what and "I wouldn't ware ware on a bet". I ask two Main questions: Are they a maker of movements or a packager? And. What type of movements would you typically find in one? Thanks W O

Re: Is Vulcan worth buying?

Can't figure out why the concern over a so called, pedigree. Most of them are the
    end product of the boys in marketing.

Ggoogle up "Vulcain Cricket" - I think you'll find it interesting.

Now, please enlighten me about the connection to the silver screen....

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vulcain crickets were worn by quite a few US presidents including Barry Obama. I think they absorbed another brand. maybe Revue Thomson -(or I forgot the exact name). They are mostly known for their alarm movement and thats about all I know as their claim to fame. But they sure carved out a big niche out of the alarm market for themselves.

It is rare for a working Vulcain cricket to go for much less than $200 and fine examples go for much more.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

A pedagree in this case is simply a question of the watch being made by a high end or well respected name. And the silver screen is pretty self explanatory.
    "Live long and prosper".

The Cricket, is, as mentioned, their claim to fame. I have a Vulcain (60s-early 70s) with an FHF movt in it. It's a bit pedestrian, but I think the older ones are better.

The Cricket is a very nice alarm watch, maybe of the earliest with LeCoultre Wrist Alarm... As already said it was worn by lots of American presidents, I can confirm that now is Revue Thommen that still does the cricket...

Name:  vl1_image_1834666.jpg
Views: 7264
Size:  61.8 KB

Also they made the version nautilus rare and expensive...

Saluti.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

The Vulcain Cal. 120 is the original "Cricket" movement and was developed in 1947. It is the first modern wrist alarm movement, predating the JLC Memovox which in later versions became the first automatic wrist alarm. When Vulcain joined up with Revue Thommen, Phenix and Buser to form the M.S.R. (Manufactures Suisses Reunies), the calibre designation was changed to MSR 2 and very minor changes were made. Eventually, Revue displaced the others in the group and got the rights to their movement so a slightly unchanged Cricket calibre was designated the Cal. RT 80. Later, when Revuew ran out of Vulcain calibres, they used AS 1930 movements to make the Crickets with the same double bottom that made the original so loud and which Vulcain had patented in 1947.

Nowadays, the name Vulcain has been resurrected (independent of Revue) along with the rights to the movement which is now the Cal. V10. Vulcain have made numerous adaptations to this, including a tourbillon version and an automatic version based on the same principle as the JLC Cal. 916 (activation of the resonating alarm pin attached to the back of the case through a hollowed out central ball bearing for the rotor - the main problem facing automatic wrist alarms).

Hartmut Richter

You are right Hartmut, if I remember well the first JLC cal. 489 was made in the '50s...

Quote Originally Posted by watch origins View Post
    A pedagree in this case is simply a question of the watch being made by a high end or well respected name. And the silver screen is pretty self explanatory.
    "Live long and prosper".
    Wow, I guess it makes sense for Spock to wear such a watch...
    Pink Floyd. Dark side of the moon. Side one, track four.
    Gallet Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/GalletChronographs/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information