Wabi-Sabi and vintage watches
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Wabi-Sabi and vintage watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wabi-Sabi and vintage watches

Hi!

I came a across this link and thought that it summed up my interest in vintage watches very well. One of the things that flummoxes me is when people post a pic of a perfectly fine vintage piece, with honourable wear and tear for its age and start talking about getting it redialed because its not perfect. Perhaps they should get a new watch.

I think that a watch that shows us the impermanence of life through its own slow decay as it measures time, is a thing of art, truth, beauty and philosophy. This article sums up how I feel about the vintageness of vintage watches........

What Is Wabi-Sabi?

regards

tim
    Last edited by erasuretim; September 3rd, 2010 at 18:48.

Re: Wabi-Sabi and vintage watches

I agree with your point.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

"Forever is composed of nows." - Emily Dickinson

"The watch has to be surrounded by a history.
    You need more than just a great design. You need to create an atmosphere around the product.
    Who is the company behind it? Why are they using this material?
    People need to be able to identify the watch with themselves. It's based on emotion." - Ralph Furter

...that's just my opinion and I've been wrong before and will be again and might be now!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

my other hobby is bonsai. i've thought about wabi and sabi perhaps more than i should. for a time, i was convinced that my fellow americans wouldn't be very interested in the ideas. there isn't really a strong sense of the beauty of age here. i would see the words used in conjunction with an interior decorating scheme called 'shabby chic'. someone would take new furniture and beat the crap out it to make it look old. an unfortunate comment on the way this culture views the passage of time.

but then i took up vintage watches. i was smitten by the well seasoned patina on a 70 year-old dial. and i found others who felt the same. always on the vintage watch forums. there aren't a ton of us compared to the new, shiny watch forums, but enough.

In regard to my post about doubts on finish on dial some where nearby -reading this article turned me around 360 degrees. The watch shows its age. I love aging finishes in other things, why not a vintage watch? Thanks for helping me put things in perspective. Now I have to win the auction! P&P

Quote Originally Posted by erasuretim View Post
    One of the things that flummoxes me is when people post a pic of a perfectly fine vintage piece, with honourable wear and tear for its age and start talking about getting it redialed because its not perfect. Perhaps they should get a new watch.
    On the other hand i can understand the desire to restore an item to the condition and appearance that's it's maker intended it to have. It can represent a road mark on the journey through the passage of time, refreshing the relationship between item and owner. And even better if it extends the length of the journey. I'm sure it's a dilemma often faced by antique collectors - to restore, or not to restore, and to what extent.

Hi ladies,

you'll never find an end of this discussion. The border between charming patina
    and serious deterioration (by misuse) is as individual as old watches are.

Regards, Roland Ranfft

I'll play devils advocate here. To me the wear and tear looses it's charm when it is from someone else wearing it. If it were a watch I,someone I cared about, or even someone famous had worn for years it would have some meaning to it.

However I find it hard to fall in love with patina that joe schmoe put on it because he wore it to the office every day for 40 years and sometimes knocked it on stuff.

I'm certainly not against buying vintage watches that aren't perfect but if some how it were possible or cost effective to buy a perfect example or have it restored to original condition I would do so.

Everyone hates the car analogy but it is very similar to the increasingly popular conflict between un-restored and ultra-restored concourse show cars.
    Last edited by cavallino33; September 6th, 2010 at 00:29.
    Buran Siberia (x2 black and white), Aviator Chrono II (poljot31681), Ferrari Jumbo Pit Crew,Alpha Jump Hour, MZI Skeleton, MKII Stingray,Elgin 18s,Agat stopwatch, Sturmanskie Sputnik,Raketa Pilot, Poljot Traveller,Tscheljabinsk military clock, Kirovskie Crab, Vostok Amphibia (tank dial), 3133 Strela replica, Alpha Jumphour Tank,Denissov Barracuda 31681,Laco B-Uhr type B, Stowa Antea KS

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cavallino33

Quote Originally Posted by GlennO View Post
    On the other hand i can understand the desire to restore an item to the condition and appearance that's it's maker intended it to have. It can represent a road mark on the journey through the passage of time, refreshing the relationship between item and owner. And even better if it extends the length of the journey. I'm sure it's a dilemma often faced by antique collectors - to restore, or not to restore, and to what extent.
    Good points, but I prefer an 'honest' watch in good original condition...
    the restored watch is usually the watch which has had a hard life.

As Roland said, there is no agreement possible as there is no right answer. That is why I love questions like this...

Personally I agree with all of you in part, as for me it depends on the watch in question. Some patina is simply beautiful in itself, some is simply damage and of no historical value.

My first watch I bought as a boy is getting a redial, even though it was me who 'applied' the patina. Of course, I remember best the watch as I bought it in 1977 (i.e. new) and not surprisingly that I want it to look like that again. Some would argue that THIS patina is the stuff that should be saved. I say I ruined it (as boys do).

Military watches are a special case, I think in this case unless the watch is unusable, then the patina has been hard won and is a significant part of the watch.

I think most watches I have I would prefer to find (in an ideal world) a NOS one (except military ones). Given that in most cases I can't, I prefer an original lightly patinated dial. If the only one I can find or afford comes with a ruined dial, then I feel I should save the watch by repairing it - that is the lesser harm, at least with a new dial it can serve its original function.

The line between character and flaw is a personal assessment by the present owner. It is all degrees of grey.

K.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information