Waltham 17 jewel incabloc wrist watch identification help
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By mkws
  • 2 Post By Dan S
  • 1 Post By Grégoire
  • 1 Post By Grégoire

Thread: Waltham 17 jewel incabloc wrist watch identification help

Waltham 17 jewel incabloc wrist watch identification help

I had finally started my vintage watch collection. I was at an antique store and came across this waltham 17 jewel incabloc. It works and soinds like it is running just fine, tick tick tick. The band needs a new pin and there are few small knicks on the glass face. The band has some what looks like small weld spatter bb's. I picked it up for 10 bucks.

So i tried to get this identified. I looked in my "complete price guide to watches" and they do not list waltham. I checked online and theres some info but not alot. People said to check the serial number. If its not on the back of the case then its on the inside. Well its not in the back. So i took ot to my local watch repair jewelry store. They opened it and said there was no serial number. So now im at a loss. Id like to find more about this watch but that seems tricky. Does anyone know about these watches?

The watch back says "stainless steel" "swiss made". The band says "crown made usa" " stainless steel". On the lower part of the face is says " t swiss t".

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Re: Waltham 17 jewel incabloc wrist watch identification help

A fairly typical 1960s piece, with a Swiss generic movement inside- what movement exactly, that we can know only if you get it open and post pictures of the movement. It's a screw-in back, so you might need to get a watch holder and a wrench (though it's better to try a sticky, rubber ball first), or ask a watchmaker to open it (should cost nothing).

"T" markings by the "Swiss" inscription = tritium lume.

It's not a full steel case- upon enlarging the picture, it clearly states "Stainless steel back, base metal bezel", which makes a hell of a difference. If it was just "stainless steel", then it would mean it's a full steel case, and since the inscription is what it is- it's a chrome plated brass case.

For 10 bucks, a very good deal.
    badbackdan and crash525 like this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

It's in very good condition; often the chrome-plating is in pretty bad shape after 50 years. So you are in luck, and you have a very nice watch to wear. It's quite a nice-looking classic vintage watch from that era; I like the interesting lugs and the red-tipped second hand.

It's unfortunate that you didn't take photos of the movement when the jeweler opened the case for you; we would have been able to identify the movement caliber. Aside from that, there will really be nothing else to identify; watches like this did not usually have specific model names or numbers.

I will just add that the bracelet is cheap, not original, not a good fit between the lugs, and will eventually wear the chrome off of the inside of the lugs which will cause problems over time. So I would advise you to change the bracelet to a better-fitting model, or just a leather strap.
    crash525 and mkws like this.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by badbackdan View Post
    It's in very good condition; often the chrome-plating is in pretty bad shape after 50 years. So you are in luck, and you have a very nice watch to wear. It's quite a nice-looking classic vintage watch from that era; I like the interesting lugs and the red-tipped second hand.

It's unfortunate that you didn't take photos of the movement when the jeweler opened the case for you; we would have been able to identify the movement caliber. Aside from that, there will really be nothing else to identify; watches like this did not usually have specific model names or numbers.

I will just add that the bracelet is cheap, not original, not a good fit between the lugs, and will eventually wear the chrome off of the inside of the lugs which will cause problems over time. So I would advise you to change the bracelet to a better-fitting model, or just a leather strap.
    Thanks for the reply. I also think its in pretty good shape. I really dont care to resell it since i purchased it to wear. I will have to go back to the watch shop and snag a picture of the insides. Im just more curious the time frame of when it was made.

The band did seem pretty loose. I think a nice leather strap would look nice on it. Thanks again. ill post a picture of the insides when i get a chance.

I've worked on a LOT of these vintage Walthams. I always appreciate them for their classic designs and I really dig the red arrow tips.

There's a good chance the movement in yours looks something like this...

They usually used quality AS or ST based movements with shock protection which are a breeze to service. The earlier ones had Incabloc while the later ones used different systems probably as a cost cutting measure which tend to make them more difficult to deal with. You snagged a nice one for a good price. Enjoy it.
    crash525 likes this.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Grégoire View Post
    I've worked on a LOT of these vintage Walthams. I always appreciate them for their classic designs and I really dig the red arrow tips.

There's a good chance the movement in yours looks something like this...

They usually used quality AS or ST based movements with shock protection which are a breeze to service. The earlier ones had Incabloc while the later ones used different systems probably as a cost cutting measure which tend to make them more difficult to deal with. You snagged a nice one for a good price. Enjoy it.
    Thanks for the info. Nice watch too. I took it to my jeweler today and they took the back off and snapped a few pics. I also bought a new leather strap for it. The watch looks great with it. I also dig the red arrow tip.

Oh, a Fabrique d'Horlogerie de Fontainemelon (FHF) 97, I also have seen them cross branded as ST, those are classic movements as well, and pop up in a lot of watches from that era.

Yours has Incabloc, I always like seeing that as they are much easier to deal with than something like KIF.

Here's a shot of the same movement with the same distinctive finishing that I have yet to replace the jewels and KIF spring on.

Name:  DSCF0335.JPG
Views: 943
Size:  807.6 KB

You can learn more about the movement on the Ranfft Pink Pages here.
    Last edited by Grégoire; March 11th, 2017 at 06:03.
    crash525 likes this.
    Check out my "Watch of the Week" on Instagram.

Thanks much appreciated!

Last edited by crash525; March 11th, 2017 at 12:05. Reason: Spelling

Thread Information