Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Twiggz
  • 2 Post By Ben_hutcherson
  • 1 Post By tinknocker
  • 1 Post By muphasta
  • 1 Post By Lothianjavert

Thread: Waltham 1883 Bartlett 17j pocketwatch handed down to me

Waltham 1883 Bartlett 17j pocketwatch handed down to me

I wish I paid better attention to my grandmotherís stories as a kid. From what I can recall, my grandmothers Uncle, or (Great uncle I'm not sure) worked for the rail road. This was his well-worn gold pocket watch.

From what I was able to find online, this was his Waltham model 1883, with 17 jewel Bartlett movement made around 1907. I have no idea if its gold, or gold filled.

Heat blued hands, still in beautiful condition

My favorite part, the 100+ year old movement.

This is the marking I couldnít find any info on

It looks like it was last serviced in 1977. I gently wound it and it still runs. I'd get it cleaned and lubricated before I'd consider winding it fully. Itís crazy how loud it ticks.
    From what I can tell, the 1883 model typically came with a 15j movement. I read that the railroad had standards for watches, so I assume thatís why this one was a 17j. Just speculating here since Iím still learning about movements.

If anyone can point me to more info on this piece, it would be greatly appreciated.
    anzac1957, muphasta and Paleotime like this.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Waltham 1883 Bartlett 17j pocketwatch handed down to me

I've always like the dmk patterns on these nickel Bartletts. It's also marked 17j, which tells me that there's probably a 99% chance of that being the case(to confirm, you'd want to pull the balance cock and look for a jewel on the center wheel, but this isn't something I suggest doing unless you really know what you're doing).

'83s were made for a long period of time-from 1883 to the 1920s. In earlier years, 15j was typical for better grades, although in later years some grades were upgraded. Few '83 models were made with 21j(these are uncommon, and generally a mid grade watch). A friend has a 22j '83 which is likely unique.

The case is gold filled. The "Warranted" mark without any additional qualifications is indicative of that.
    Last edited by Ben_hutcherson; May 22nd, 2015 at 01:59.
    Twiggz and Paleotime like this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Wink Re: Waltham 1883 Bartlett 17j pocketwatch handed down to me

Thanks for the info. It is a little disapointing that the watch is only gold filled. It doesn't matter much in the big picture, since I'd never be able to bring myself to sell it anyway.

When I finally bring the watch in for sevice, I'll ask them to verify the jewel under the blance cock. No way in hell do I trust myself to do it. Now the hard part of finding a local watchmaker I trust.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here's a little more info

American Waltham Watch Company: History, Serial Numbers & Production Dates

Waltham Named Grades

In addition to using grade numbers, Waltham also used many grade names on their watches, often choosing the names of Board members, company investors, or other prominent individuals. The grade name basically designates the model and/or level of finish of the watch. Some of the more popular Waltham named grades were:
    P. S. Bartlett, Appleton Tracy & Co., William Ellery, Crescent Street, Colonial, Riverside, Central Park, Broadway, Royal E. Robbins, Vanguard, Bond Street, Sterling, Premier, Royal, and Maximus.

Also the serial # looks to be from 1907/1908, If the info is correct, and if I'm reading it correctly :)

Beautiful watch.
    Twiggz likes this.
    Always give a word or a sign of salute when meeting or passing a friend, even a stranger, when in a lonely place. Show respect to all people and grovel to none.

Very nice! I quite literally just finished searching the serial number on my Waltham pocket watch. It too is an 1883, from 1890. Very nice watch!
    Twiggz likes this.

Nice! The case may have some wear, but overall it presents very nicely- love the character. Gold filled seems like the norm, especially for the larger watches. Yours with the full plate looks like 18s. Dial and hands are in gorgeous condition!
    Twiggz likes this.

Thanks! You are correct on the size, its an 18s. I believe after my grandmother received the watch, it sat in her dresser until '77 when she had it serviced. Then it sat in her drawer until her passing in '04. My aunt had no interest in it, so I took it and moved it to the back of my safe until yesterday. So all the wear would be from my great (great?) uncle when he worked for the rail road.

Thread Information