Waltham 1892 Vanguards collector value

Thread: Waltham 1892 Vanguards collector value

Waltham 1892 Vanguards collector value

Schugart's price guide lists the originally highest cost big 18 size 23 jewel version cheaper than 17j. Also $4000. for one with the $10. wind indicator option. Apparently rarity is the major factor in that good reference; not including gold cases. Apparently there were few original buyers for the cheap indicator. So a fine r.r. 23j Vanguard will be $400. or less, when a 17j may be $700. from same seller, or with winding indicator $4000. Opportunity then for a good buy with the 17j. My examples here are in ornate 14k and plain 18k hunting cases thus negating the movement value advantage of the 17j. I think the Schugart reference is a good one for relative values. Difficult to be exact with up to date prevailing values. 17j left.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; June 18th, 2010 at 09:08.

Banned

They still print Schugart's?

?

Re: They still print Schugart's?

Yes Art, I suppose Shugart has taken into consideration the 17j Vanguard 1892 being made in far smaller numbers (about 1K for both OF and hunter) compared to the top model 23j. Disregarding case quality, does it make the 17j more collectible than a 23j Vanguard with its higher production numbers? Only the buyer will decide. The Wind Indicator will always outprice other watches no matter make or model because it is a complication, not very complicated though, and always being produced in smaller numbers.

As it happens, your post triggered me to bring out from its box a 1892 Waltham Appleton Tracy 17j, I wound it, listened to it, and put it in front of me on the desk. Nice ones, 1892 Walthams aren't they.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by enough View Post
    ?
    Good question. Not much price changing annually. Some additions however. Seriously, is there a better general purpose guide other than the one I have seen for pawnshops?

Quote Originally Posted by Erik_H View Post
    Yes Art, I suppose Shugart has taken into consideration the 17j Vanguard 1892 being made in far smaller numbers (about 1K for both OF and hunter) compared to the top model 23j. Disregarding case quality, does it make the 17j more collectible than a 23j Vanguard with its higher production numbers? Only the buyer will decide.
    Right on. There are plenty o f reasons to question Shugart's pricing. I have bought and sold these quite a few times. Always higher price for 23j. Very nice Waltham A grade parts in these. Thick gold jewel settings with recessed screws, decorated regulater, gold finished screws, diamond balance cap jewel, complex plate decoration. All with fine precision. No one made a much better 18 size full plate appearance.

Re: Waltham 1892 Vanguards collector value

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    Schugart's price guide lists the originally highest cost big 18 size 23 jewel version cheaper than 17j. Also $4000. for one with the $10. wind indicator option. Apparently rarity is the major factor in that good reference; not including gold cases. Apparently there were few original buyers for the cheap indicator. So a fine r.r. 23j Vanguard will be $400. or less, when a 17j may be $700. from same seller, or with winding indicator $4000. Opportunity then for a good buy with the 17j. My examples here are in ornate 14k and plain 18k hunting cases thus negating the movement value advantage of the 17j. I think the Schugart reference is a good one for relative values. Difficult to be exact with up to date prevailing values. 17j left.
    Shugarts book continues to be very helpful for identifying which watches are rarer than others. I still have the original edition! The values are inevitably way out of date and some of the numbers appear to be based on guesstimates rather than a broadly based pricing database. For infrequently traded watches that is not particularly surprising.
    Last edited by John MS; June 19th, 2010 at 16:31.

Thread Information