Waltham Am Watch Co Pocket Watch

Thread: Waltham Am Watch Co Pocket Watch

Waltham Am Watch Co Pocket Watch

New to the forum I am handling some estate details for my wife and trying to get a story behind a particular pock watch. The watch is vintage but in great shape. (see photos). Tried to link the full pic to a URL on photobucket but kept coming up invalid. Anyhow SN# is 18319. Based on my novice searching it's referred to a model 57 from 1859-1860. The watch has been kept in a Shawcross (Paris, ONT) watch box. I really want to tell some story about this watch for the family. Can anyone provide some insight or links to more information would be much appreciated ...

Name:  IMG_5851.JPG
Views: 17438
Size:  538.4 KBName:  IMG_5848.JPG
Views: 1380
Size:  760.6 KBName:  IMG_5849.JPG
Views: 1226
Size:  722.4 KBName:  IMG_5853.JPG
Views: 1107
Size:  498.3 KB

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Re: Waltham Am Watch Co Pocket Watch

I believe that you have provided the serial number off the case, and not off the movement.

That is definitely not an 1857 model, and definitely not from 1859.

Offhand, I'd guess it to be a 6 size from the 1890-1900 timespan.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thanks....Yes ....It is off the case, did not know that they were different. (remember novice) Did not want to chance taking the back off myself for fear of damage on not getting it back on :)
    There are 5 old watches in the estate items. Doubt any have much in the way of monetary value (although some are label 10K gold filled, whater that means and might have some mineral value). Really looking to provide some story behind them starting with this very cool looking pocket watch.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The big problem, Rohey, is that for the most part, pretty much all american pocket watches from the turn of the century look roughly the same from the outside. This one is a hunter style (meaning the crown is at 3:00), and has a fairly simple single-sunk dial (that refers to the fact that the sub-second dial is recessed a bit). Beyond that, there could be any of a number of different models of movement inside, and any number of different "grades" of that model, ranging from a fairly cheap 7 jewel flashed movement up to a 21 jewel Maximus that would have cost the better part of a years wages back in those days. Only way to know is to get someone to open the case.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thread Information