Waltham Half Hunter

Thread: Waltham Half Hunter

DOW

Waltham Half Hunter

I have just bought this c1909 Waltham Half Hunter with a ALD Dennison Moon 10ct gold case and 15 Jewel movement gold cup set and screwed.
    It looks wonderful and has been serviced and works well.
    Is there any other information I should know about this timepiece, or any comments you guys would like to share with me. Thanks for your time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Regards
    David D
    1966 Breitling Cosmonaute.
    1985 Heuer Pilot Quartz Chronograph
    1909 Waltham Half Hunter with Moon ALD case

Re: Waltham Half Hunter

That's very nice. I'm sure you'll get some good info when the PW collectors see it.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Nice watch.The the case the movement's in is called a Demi hunter case due to the open front cover were you can see the dial.The movement a model 1908,grade no.620 3/4 plate 15 jewel,16 size movement and from the serial numbers I think it was made in 1908.And I think the movement was shipped to England and then cased and sold back in the day when it was brand new looks like a English made case.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very nice. I can just add that hunter grade 620 had a total production of 150.500 units. Dennison Watch Case Co was an English company based in Birmingham, it was founded by an american, A. L. Dennison who earlier was also involved in what would later become the Waltham Watch Co. Dennison Watch Case Co was a supplier of cases to the London office of Waltham Watch Co.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

My Grandfarthers watch has the same type movement but it has 17 jewel's.

Very pretty, RR. Got anymore photos of your grandfather's watch?

And DOW,

If you do intend to wear a pocket watch, make sure you get a good, strong chain for it. I speak from (fortunately, not very expensive) experience here. I actually have had my pocket watches fall out of my pockets occasionally, and every time, the watch-chain has prevented what would've been an extremely expensive disaster.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Shangas I did a post on it once here looked at the post the photo's suck I was new to posting.These photo's I did later they are a lot better.Here is a shot of the dial and a cool shot of the back cover with a Elk.My Grandfather got this for his 21st birthday.

DOW

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Very pretty, RR. Got anymore photos of your grandfather's watch?

And DOW,

If you do intend to wear a pocket watch, make sure you get a good, strong chain for it. I speak from (fortunately, not very expensive) experience here. I actually have had my pocket watches fall out of my pockets occasionally, and every time, the watch-chain has prevented what would've been an extremely expensive disaster.
    Thanks Shangas,
    I suppose I should go for a period gold chain, which would suit the watch. I have seen them on auction sights but the good ones are a bit pricey, worth more than the watch sometimes. Is there a seller that any of you guys could recommend either for a vintage chain or a new chain that might suit my Waltham ? People don't wear waistcoats any more, so do I have to attach it to a coat lapel or where. I have seen leather ones I think
    Last edited by DOW; April 16th, 2010 at 19:30.
    Regards
    David D
    1966 Breitling Cosmonaute.
    1985 Heuer Pilot Quartz Chronograph
    1909 Waltham Half Hunter with Moon ALD case

People don't wear waistcoats anymore, but I do. So I still wear my pocket watches the old-fashioned way.

But you don't NEED a waistcoat to wear a pocket watch. You can put it into the breast-pocket of your suit-coat and put the chain or leather fob-strap through the lapel-buttonhole, or you can put the watch into the watch-pocket of your jeans/trousers and clip the chain to the nearest belt-loop.

And yes, solid gold watch-chains are, for some reason, very expensive (I'm yet to figure out why). A gold-filled or a shiny brass chain, will work just as well, and cost a fraction of the price (my watch-chain is brass).
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information