WALTHAM Model 83 ABE LINCOLN
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: WALTHAM Model 83 ABE LINCOLN

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WALTHAM Model 83 ABE LINCOLN

Employee made watches different from standard production well known at Waltham. Here shown is one that is rather special perhaps made to be a special award to internally engraved CHRISTIAN F. HALLER or HATTER. Serial number is listed for model 1883 15j Appleton Tracy 1885, but movement strangely marked Abe Lincoln. The original case is a 4 oz. silver from Blauer with double hidden hinge hand engraved all around. Dial is Waltham made and marked. It is a conventional solar time 24 hour watch not like the Waltham siderial 24 hour star time model 92. Probably unique and special collectible from Waltham and I would like to know by who, how and why it was made.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 12th, 2015 at 12:03.
    busmatt, JOSE G and arogle1stus like this.

Re: WALTHAM Model 83 ABE LINCOLN

Hello! To my mind, the real focus of this Waltham is the dial...I've seen Sidereal dials ( they were signed "Sidereal" in an arc above the second's bit), but never one like this...what a nice watch! Note also that some American factories would engrave the owner's name on the movement, sometimes followed the the word "Special". I assume that this may be how this watch's bridge came to be signed.The case looks to be a 4 oz example. A very nice Watch...the dial, alone, would sell on Ebay for a price that I reckon would surprise you...!! ps: I just noticed that this movement probably (!) did not come in this case, originally: note the notch in the case above the "6" in the serial number; it was made by a case screw fitted to a different movement...still: the dial makes this watch, and it would be 'easy' to find a case with screw marks that would line up with your movement...no need to, tho: the watch is as it is, yes?? Thanks for nice pictures!

The probable case screw mark is a disappointment; indicates not a special order for Haller at least. Found several Swiss Hallers listed for early Waltham clock efforts. I have model 92 siderial, nicer and more complex but not as interesting to me. Could the 83 be a prototype for a 24 hour Waltham? artb

Name:  1373592602.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  146.6 KBName:  1373592347a.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  384.0 KB
    Last edited by artb; December 12th, 2015 at 14:01.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

NAWCC member Steven Mercer reports other 24 hr model 83s in his records so not prototype, not award watch, but small quantity. Lincoln name unresolved. artb
    Last edited by artb; December 12th, 2015 at 20:07.

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    NAWCC member Steven Mercer reports other 24 hr model 83s in his records so not prototype, not award watch, but small quantity. Lincoln name unresolved. artb
    Mercer adds info from his 12 year research of model 83s that there were more than 6 marked as W.W.CO. and Appleton Tracy. none of written record as ABE LINCOLN. So a rare Waltham watch, not an employee special, in a very fine same age case. Notice in the case hinge side view even the case back edges are made nearly invisible by the engraving. Has patent date 1883. artb

Name:  IMG_3629a.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  196.9 KBName:  IMG_3650a.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  302.9 KB
    Last edited by artb; December 13th, 2015 at 05:35.
    radger and Apollonaught like this.

Hi,

I think the text "Abe Lincoln" is just a way to describe the grade of the watch,the more prominent the person the higher the grade etc,
    here a snippet from the link below,also in the link it says Abe did carry a Waltham in 1863 so if the watch is 1883 it may have been like a 20 year anniversary kinda thing to use Abe`s name as a grade description,just guess work on my part...

(
    Waltham Named Grades

In addition to using grade numbers, Waltham also used many grade names on their watches, often choosing the names of Board members, company investors, or other prominent individuals. The grade name basically designates the model and/or level of finish of the watch. Some of the more popular Waltham named grades were:

P. S. Bartlett, Appleton Tracy & Co., William Ellery, Crescent Street, Colonial, Riverside, Central Park, Broadway, Royal E. Robbins, Vanguard, Bond Street, Sterling, Premier, Royal, and Maximus. )

American Waltham Watch Company: History, Serial Numbers & Production Dates
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

Hope your logical idea of quality name designation is true. Maybe also because unlike other few made, previous owner said its escapement design was slightly different than standard 83 model in addition to wheel ratio change. artb
    Last edited by artb; December 16th, 2015 at 23:01.

1885 would have been an interesting time at the Waltham factories,2 years previous Ezra Fitch became managing director,a positive and inventive man with more than one patent to his name,a dustproof case for one and a dial for another,also 1885 was the year of the "crystal palace exhibition" which Waltham won prices for with their Machinery and casting process,so was your rare watch a possible contender for the exhibition perhaps?just guesswork again.I think only a watchmaker is going to be able answer the question of grading your watch,but from looking at the pics it seems to have a tell tale signs of quality for the period,like diamond end stone,cut compensated balance,gold screws to the balance,ruby jewels,brueget overcoil hairspring perhaps,either way Artb it`s a fascinating watch.Enjoy.
    Last edited by Apollonaught; December 15th, 2015 at 05:36. Reason: typo/ fitch not fritch
    "There are many paths leading up the mountain,but the view from the top is the same."

The "Grey book" makes no mention of an "Abe Lincoln" grade, and the serial number is in the middle of a small run of AT/WWco's. Since the 24hr dial would require a different motion works, I'd guess these were somewhat of a "special order"; they'd take an appropriate base watch and finish it separately. I'm surprised Ben hasn't contributed to this thread yet; this is totally in his wheelhouse.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; December 15th, 2015 at 14:03.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I notice only a possible quality enhancement over the similar model 83 Appleton and better grade Cr. St. is 16 balance weights rather than 12. What adjustment advantage does that indicate? artb

Name:  IMG_0190a.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  351.5 KBName:  IMG_6928a.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  455.7 KBName:  IMG_3640a.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  178.3 KB
    Last edited by artb; December 16th, 2015 at 22:42.
    James A likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information