Waltham - Mystery Part
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbslomRob

Thread: Waltham - Mystery Part

Waltham - Mystery Part

Hi,

While separating the top movement plate a small part flew out and now i'm not sure where is came from. It has a small 'V' cut out at one end. See attached picture.The watch is a waltham Mass (5553905).

Many Thanks

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Waltham - Mystery Part

That is your pallet. Jewels engage with escape wheel, the 'V' with the balance.

Assemble these watches upside down, it is easier.

Thanks, but i'm new to this. Has anyone have a picture of the pallet fork in place?

Regards

Martin

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  GearTrain02.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  122.6 KB
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

Hello...yes, it certainly is a pallet, and, yes, be sure to assemble this watch's train on the top plate ( I hold the plate in my hand, at eye lever ), then--ever-so-gently--lower the pillar plate onto it...you'll want a very fine tweezer ( say, Dumont #5 ) and/or a long,fine needle-like tool, to move the pivots into alignment...the pillar plate will drop into place once all the pivots are correct...I usually put one plate screw in,and tighten it very gently as I move the pivots into position...the first time you do this, you may be a bit unhappy with how fussy it all is...be patient! You'll quickly see how the pallet is placed,as you set the train together. Finally; do NOT tighten the plate screw,until you're sure the train is free...I've worked on MANY such watches that have damaged train jewels because the repairer forced the plates together..!! Finally: I always enjoy seeing these old fellows together and ticking....it's Good for one's Soul.

Many people who routinely work on these (the Waltham '83 is the single most common style of 18s pocketwatch ever made, as far as I know), make a little clamp out of a strip of mainspring to "hold" this lever in place on the back plate. It's tricky, because the lever has to go >into< a notched opening on the plate; you can't just lower the plate onto it. So putting it in place and then lowering the plate and pallet together makes it much much easier. I've heard of people doing something like this with Rodico (a type of cleaning putty used by watchmakers), but you need to be careful that you don't leave any behind.

An '83 was the first watch I ever disassembled. I think it took several hours for me to get the plate on the first time. I had to walk away a couple of times. A more recent attempt only took me a few seconds. It has a lot to do with confidence in your experience.
    Last edited by AbslomRob; February 9th, 2016 at 14:57.
    anzac1957 likes this.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Many Thanks for all your replies, I will give it my best shot.

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

If you work on many of these, you will come up with your own preferences for how to put them back together.

I have a LOT of 1883 models in my collection, and a lot of 18 size watches in general. My preference is to reassemble them upside down, and can almost always get one to go in the first try doing it that way. Others prefer using a clamp(as mentioned above) or whatever other technique may suit you. I've known of other folks who stick a piece of Rodico(watchmaker's sticky tack) through the hole in the top plate to hold the fork in place. There's no one "right" way to do it, although there are plenty of wrong ones! As also mentioned above, screwing the plates down with something not seated is a good way to break either a pivot or a jewel.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Thread Information