Waltham Photo Shoot

Thread: Waltham Photo Shoot

Waltham Photo Shoot

Greetings vintage fans! I did a mini shoot today with 4 different vintage Waltham watches that my Mom had acquired from various places. I took the pictures for various reasons but mainly to share them with the forum. They date from 1860 to 1871.

All of the pictures can be found in sub-galleries at http://project802.net/personal/gallery/watches and here are some highlights.

Some of them I wound so you can see the second hand or the movement in motion with some time lapse photos. Not bad workings for some seriously old stuff!

Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 | Omega SMP 300m | TAG Heuer Kirium F1 | HTP | Fossil Titanium Chrono | Alba Orange Chrono AF8F13X

Re: Waltham Photo Shoot

Very nice collection of 33 years worth of Walthams - thanks for posting.
    They aren't as old as you stated in your post though. Here's the ID:
    3100891 - 6S 13 Jewels model 1873 (1886)
    6529457 - 6S 15 Jewels model 1890 (1893)
    14180188 16S 19 Jewels model 1899 Riverside (1904)
    23019941 14S 19 Jewels Riverside (1919)
    By the way it's not a good idea to wind or run a vintage watch for any length of time if you can't remember the last time it was serviced, or if it's been longer than 10 years.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Thanks for the feedback. Turns out I put the case # into the serial database and not the movement :oops:
    Omega Speedmaster Pro 3570.50 | Omega SMP 300m | TAG Heuer Kirium F1 | HTP | Fossil Titanium Chrono | Alba Orange Chrono AF8F13X

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Well, nice try anyway.
    You just learned that case serial numbers don't work in identifying watches. The maker was not Waltham in many instances and the case number records have not survived.
    Some other things I can infer from the photo albums and the fact that a couple of the watches were gifts on given dates:
    The 6S sizes are lady's models - either pendant or brooch (pin) styles. They are of considerable quality given that they were made before the advent of synthetic watch jewels. They were quite expensive in their day, no doubt.
    The Riversides show the change in men's watch styling over 20 years. In 1904 a 16S was a smaller and more fashionable model than the big traditional 18S. By 1919 even a 14S was a bit on the big side, as men's pocket watches were downsizing to 12S and wristwatches were coming into fashion.
    It's interesting that it took nearly 5 years from the time the 14S Riverside was made and it was cased and sold for presentation. To me that indicates a declining market for the larger size. Probably a very traditional user got the watch in 1924.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Very nice. Thank you for sharing. :)

Excellent photos of handsome timepieces. Thank you.

Thread Information