Waltham pocket watch - Page 2
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Waltham pocket watch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Waltham pocket watch

Whether a watch has a solid gold or silver case does not determine a watch's value or quality. I've seen solid silver watches with absolutely trashy movements inside.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Hi,

Yes I'd say that those were dates scratched into the watch by the watchmaker after each service. So let's say it was bought in 1920, then it was 20 years before it was serviced (which is a LONG stretch), then serviced again 10 years after that 9which is a bit more reasonable), but thereafter not touched again.

So yes, I'd say it's well overdue for another servicing if it's been 60-odd years!!
    A watchmaker doesn't ALWAYS leave a service mark. Some do that sometimes, some usually, some always, some never.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mkws View Post
    A watchmaker doesn't ALWAYS leave a service mark. Some do that sometimes, some usually, some always, some never.
    ...sorry...
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Happly to report my Waltham watch is now serviced and running well, first time it's run for at least 40 years.
    It was quiet and challenge to find anyone willing to work on a pocket watch. D.J. Jewellery in Manchester city centre fixed me up.
    It's gained around 20 seconds in the first 24 hours of me getting it back, and I'm very pleased with that, I don't know how accurate these would have been when newer, but at close to 100 years old I'll put up with that.
    I plan only buying/ making a display stand soon so its no longer hidden away.
    busmatt likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete531 View Post
    Happly to report my Waltham watch is now serviced and running well, first time it's run for at least 40 years.
    It was quiet and challenge to find anyone willing to work on a pocket watch. D.J. Jewellery in Manchester city centre fixed me up.
    It's gained around 20 seconds in the first 24 hours of me getting it back, and I'm very pleased with that, I don't know how accurate these would have been when newer, but at close to 100 years old I'll put up with that.
    I plan only buying/ making a display stand soon so its no longer hidden away.
    A watch like this one is apt to show some differences in timing depending on if it's running dial-up (like on a desk) or crown up (like in your pocket). I'm assuming that at the moment, it's mostly in the dial-up position, and that if/when you put it into a display stand it'll be crown-up. Either way, 20s per day isn't that bad for a 7 jewel watch, and if it's consistent, you only need to nudge the regulator a bit to drop it down to where you want it to be. I would tend to want to regulate it for dial-up position, so that it's more accurate when you're wearing it.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    A watch like this one is apt to show some differences in timing depending on if it's running dial-up (like on a desk) or crown up (like in your pocket). I'm assuming that at the moment, it's mostly in the dial-up position, and that if/when you put it into a display stand it'll be crown-up. Either way, 20s per day isn't that bad for a 7 jewel watch, and if it's consistent, you only need to nudge the regulator a bit to drop it down to where you want it to be. I would tend to want to regulate it for dial-up position, so that it's more accurate when you're wearing it.

Right, thank you for that very useful info. I hadn't realised that there would be a difference between positions, I don't see me wearing it's much if im honest, It will probably end up serving as a table clock.
    The chain it used to have was cut up and made into 2 charm bracelets many years ago, I have one half of it back now, the other half my sister had and unfortunately was stolen from her and few years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information