Waltham pocket watch
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Waltham pocket watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waltham pocket watch

Hi everyone, thought I'd show you my waltham pocket watch, this was my Grandfather's, he passed away in 1973 and my mother gave it to me about 10 years ago.
    It hasn't run at all in all the time I've known it, but when I got it out to take these photos it started going! So it's run intermittently for an hour at most, but it did keep time while it ran.

Name:  FullSizeRender-14.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  162.3 KB
    In case it does not show in the photos the inscription reads 'English make, This case guaranteed to wear 10 years 818652 26 A' on the inner cover. The outer cover has 'Star, Dennison watch case co. Ltd. 818652' it also seen to have some dates or numbers engraved in tiny writing over to the right side of this cover.
    I did check the serial no. on a website it says there that it was made in 1875.
    Name:  IMG_5620.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  118.5 KB

Re: Waltham pocket watch

Here are a few more photos,Name:  IMG_5636.JPG
Views: 94
Size:  112.3 KBName:  IMG_5633.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  61.4 KBName:  IMG_5628.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  120.7 KBName:  IMG_5627.JPG
Views: 96
Size:  96.9 KB
    1955mercury and bsshog40 like this.

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/sear...ltham/22964401
    Dates to 1919, the movement and dial were imported to Britain and cased there by Dennison. The "tiny writing" are most likely markings left there by a watchmaker, when the watch was serviced. Speaking of the devil, DON'T WIND IT UNTIL IT GETS PROPER MOVEMENT SERVICE. You really wouldn't want to mess up the movement...Folks in this forum might help you find a good watchmaker in your area (wherever that is).
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Tanks for that mkws, I've been putting in the case number then, makes more sense now as my grandfather probably bought it new after his stint in the army in ww1. I have taken it to a local jewelers today for an assessment, but he thinks at first glance just a clean and service will be needed, be getting back to us in a few days hopefully, was odd coming home without it though.

Hi Pete,

Welcome to the forum.

It's a cute watch, definitely looks 1910s style. Hand-scratched numbers inside watch-cases were very common (most antique watches will have these things). They're usually left by the watchmaker. It'll be something like a date or whatever, indicating when a watch was last serviced. I remember one or two postings in this forum about amusing little stories by members, who purchased *X* watch at a flea-market, or antiques shop, or inherited it, and took it to a shop to get it serviced. The watchmaker opens it and goes: "Oh I remember this...that's my mark in the corner the last time I cleaned it", and the watchmaker will be like 60 or 70 years old.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete531 View Post
    Tanks for that mkws, I've been putting in the case number then, makes more sense now as my grandfather probably bought it new after his stint in the army in ww1. I have taken it to a local jewelers today for an assessment, but he thinks at first glance just a clean and service will be needed, be getting back to us in a few days hopefully, was odd coming home without it though.
    One advice- always take a watch to a watchmaker, not a jeweller- there are very few jewellers who are also watchmakers. Usually the price of a COA (cleaning, oiling, adjustment) at a jeweller's is way higher than what a watchmaker would charge you. There most likely are- just as in about every other case- exceptions from the rule, but truth be told, I haven't ever seen one.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Thats amazing Shangas, just shows how long good watches can last, the dates in mine are 10/10/41 and 8/5/51 and it looks like initials after each date, so I guess it's due a service.
    Mkws I understand what your saying but I've looked for ages to find someone local ( wouldn't want to post it away) the shop I've gone with was recommended by the company who sevices and repairs my wristwatches but they dont touch pocket watches unfortunately. Im in Manchester UK if anyone has any recommendations.

That's 2 watches in for repair/ servicing now, as well as my grandfather's Waltham I have my fathers Rodana in for a full rebuild, I have searched a lot for info on the Rodana but things seem quiet vague on that company, I know they changed their name to Rodania for some reason. Mine is quiet a large case size 38mm if I remember correctly, not sure of the year it was made though. I'll start a new thread once I get it back home, but they told me 16 weeks turnaround on it and they've had it only for 5 weeks now.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete531 View Post
    Thats amazing Shangas, just shows how long good watches can last, the dates in mine are 10/10/41 and 8/5/51 and it looks like initials after each date, so I guess it's due a service.
    Mkws I understand what your saying but I've looked for ages to find someone local ( wouldn't want to post it away) the shop I've gone with was recommended by the company who sevices and repairs my wristwatches but they dont touch pocket watches unfortunately. Im in Manchester UK if anyone has any recommendations.
    Hi,

Yes I'd say that those were dates scratched into the watch by the watchmaker after each service. So let's say it was bought in 1920, then it was 20 years before it was serviced (which is a LONG stretch), then serviced again 10 years after that 9which is a bit more reasonable), but thereafter not touched again.

So yes, I'd say it's well overdue for another servicing if it's been 60-odd years!!
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Im pretty sure it's not worked or been used at all since being passed to my mother in 1973, so it's had a good rest. I remeber a trip to a local jewelers in the 190s who told us it was only rolled gold and not worth spending money on. I think the scratches are from some rough handling to get the case open with a sharp tool that's slipped, one is quiet deep, too much to polish out I think, I've no idea who did them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information