Waltham pocket watch

Thread: Waltham pocket watch

Waltham pocket watch

Hello,
    I am thinking about getting this Waltham pocket watch, maybe somebody could tell me more about it, because I only have the picture? Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Waltham pocket watch

I can't make out the serial number, but it looks like a 7 jewel watch. These can be hit or miss, because the lack of jewels means the pivots (the holes that the gears rotate in) have a tendancy to wear into an "oval" shape. That causes the gears to no longer mesh cleanly, which can throw off the timing and cause further wear. That said, a well maintained 7 jewel watch makes a good watch for regular use, if the purchase price is good. I wouldn't suggest paying more then $100 though. And don't forget that these guys should be serviced every 3-5 years. For 7 jewel watches, I tend to recommend more frequent servicing, because if any dirt or dust gets into the oil of the pivots, they'll wear much quicker then on a jeweled watch.

If the asking price is too high, you probably want to look for a 15j or higher watch. 15j watches are usually well priced and avoid 90% of the service/wear issues.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

One more question, I am wondering if it is possible that there is a solid gold case?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Doubtful...I can't see any brassing in the picture, but the lighting in it isn't the greatest. However, i do see what appears to be case screw marks around the edge of the movement that suggest this was a transplant, and you wouldn't typically transplant a 7j watch into a solid gold case.

If its solid gold, it should say so on the inside back cover (and won't say anything about being warranted or guaranteed)

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AbslomRob View Post
    won't say anything about being warranted or guaranteed
    Actually, many US made solid gold cases are marked "Warranted 14K US Assay" or something else to that effect. I've also owned "Warranted U.S. Assay" cases which are solid low-karat gold(8-9K or so).

"Guaranteed" is always gold filled in my experience, but "Warranted" can go either way. It depends on the specific text of the mark, as well as the case maker.

A good, clear photo of the case mark is a must for sure identification. For what it's worth, the case in question to me has the look of gold filled or low karat gold.

Good point; I guess it would be more accurate to say that solid gold cases won't say "warranted for x years".

Thread Information