WALTHAM pocket watch -any expert pleeeeeese help!
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: WALTHAM pocket watch -any expert pleeeeeese help!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WALTHAM pocket watch -any expert pleeeeeese help!

hi would be very grateful if one of you knowledgable guys can help me find out about this watch for a good friend -it appears to have a very clean well unmarked really enamelled type face --a masonic type design on the back -its obviously missing a winder key and the markings on the innerrear casse are a lion at 12 ocloc -an anchor at 12-45 and a lower case 'b' at 12-15also at 12-30 the letters AB with numbers 25 beneath-not equipped to open it nor do i want to damage -would be real help for any imput as regards type-age -maybe even valueName:  waltham3.jpg
Views: 819
Size:  284.8 KBName:  waltham2.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  231.7 KBName:  waltham1.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  242.5 KB

Re: WALTHAM pocket watch -any expert pleeeeeese help!

just to add my friend tells me the waltham was restored well -which accounts for the lovely clean dial i suppose -the key is still present and the watch is working !

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Looks like a typical Waltham made in the 1880s-1890s for the English export market. "AB" was Alfred Bedford, the English agent for Waltham-most export Walthams from this era are in AB cases(later ones were in Dennison cases). The gold hands and dial are also quite consistent with this.

The case hallmark looks like a 1901 Birmingham mark to me. This would be fairly late for this sort of watch, but probably not too unusual.

The movement is most likely a 7 jewel gilt 1877 or 1883 model-we can determine this easily if you open the inner dust cover and take a picture of it.
    shameless likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

thanks ben do i need a special tool to open this -thankyou for your response by the way

sorry ben -would this be a silver case -forgive my ignorance

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Not a problem :)

You don't need any special tools-just a fingernail and possibly a dull knife if it's stubborn.

Yes, this is an English-made sterling silver case. This is indicated by the lion marking at the top(in combination with the Birmingham assay office anchor, date letter, and maker's mark).
    shameless likes this.
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Learn something new every day here, thanks! Just wish I could remember half of it.

Very nice watch. I was just given two that belonged to my Grandfather (posted in a thread today). One of them has a very similar crest as the one on yours, but I have no idea what it is. Were you able to find anything more about it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

shameless likes this.

im sorry no more than you see - maybe they are waltham design to encourage a monogram ! thankyou for taking the trouble my friend

Quote Originally Posted by shameless View Post
    im sorry no more than you see - maybe they are waltham design to encourage a monogram ! thankyou for taking the trouble my friend
    Mine is actually on a Hampden, so it's not limited to Waltham. I agree it's probably for initials, however it's odd that neither of ours have initials. Would be interested in seeing an example with initials.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information