Waltham Pocket Watch Assistance, learning curve to see if I am learning.

Thread: Waltham Pocket Watch Assistance, learning curve to see if I am learning.

Waltham Pocket Watch Assistance, learning curve to see if I am learning.

Waltham Pocket Watch, size 15

Full Hunter Case

Porcelain Dial with Roman Numerals

Sub Seconds at 6 O’clock

Spade Hands

Crown and Winding Stem at 3 O’clock

Back inside of Hunter Case Marked with Patented C.W.C. Co (Crescent Watch Case Co), PLANET (guaranteed to be made of two plates of Solid Gold), Crescent Moon, and Star (meaning that it is gold filled 10KT, guaranteed for 20 Years)

Dust cover engraved M.A.C Dec. 24. 98…I assume this was given as a chrsitmas present. Underside of Dustcover CRESCENT WARRANTED 20 YEARS

Serial Number 842284, meaning the watch was made around 1875 to 1876.

Interesting note is on the inside rim of the case, it has the words “PAT D .DEC 7.8”, does this mean that the watch was patented and made in 1878?

Movement is Maker Marked American Waltham Watch Co. Safety Barrel. Watch Movement Number or Serial Number is 8337380. If it is the serial number, that would make this watch made around 1898. Which Coincides with the engraving.

This is a Lever Action Escapement Movement Correct?

Nice fob with Amber, and Bloodstone.

Please tell me all that I missed…I am still learning! LOL!

Thanks in advance,

John

Click on Thumbnails to enlarge photos…

Last edited by John Vargas; May 4th, 2009 at 02:03.

Re: Waltham Pocket Watch Assistance, learning curve to see if I am learning.

A nice watch in good condition. Just keep in mind that the MOVEMENT serial number is what gives us the DATE of MANUFACTURE, NOT the CASE number. This is because watch movements & cases were often sold separately.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

It's a size 6, 7 jewel watch from approx. 1897, at least according to the Waltham Grey Book. You state that it's a size 15, no such beast. If it is in fact a size 6, it's a small woman's watch, if it is bigger than we've discovered another error in the Grey Book. As Shangas stated it's the movement number that's important for IDing antique and vintage watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watch-sizes went from 0-24, I believe. The sizes were 0, 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24. 0-12 was women's sizes, and 12-24 were men's sizes, 12 being unisex. I may be wrong, but that's what I learnt from what I read.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

RON- I think it is definitely a size 6. This movement, I believe, was a basic model for the 7j but did go up to 17 when signed Riverside.

Edit: Oops, double checked the pictures vs the thread text, serial on movement vs serial on case! You were right, 1897, not what was written before! Attention to details!

"The serial is actually 810,000-910,000, therefore it was made in 1875."

Quote Originally Posted by RON in PA View Post
    It's a size 6, 7 jewel watch from approx. 1897, at least according to the Waltham Grey Book. You state that it's a size 15, no such beast. If it is in fact a size 6, it's a small woman's watch, if it is bigger than we've discovered another error in the Grey Book. As Shangas stated it's the movement number that's important for IDing antique and vintage watches.
    Last edited by SkooterNB; May 4th, 2009 at 14:51.

Thanks for the help guys, it is really appreciated.

I am sorry to confuse you on the case size…I misread the size chart in the book, and thought that was for the case, and it turns out to be the movement size!

The actual size of the case is 42.82MM…so what size would that make it?

Shangas, I appreciate the tip on the movement number being the actual number I should go by for dating a pocket watch. I appreciate all the teaching tips!

Wow, I was realty way off in dating it. I am very pleased to know it is from 1875!

Regards,

John

Watch size is determined by the diameter of the dial plate, not the case.

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the clarification, it is much appreciated.

The Dial Plate is 33.88MM; therefore, you were correct in stating it was a size 6.

Bad news is I broke the crystal trying to put it back on, and I was being very gentle. Any ideas of where I can get a replacement crystal?

Regards

John
    Last edited by John Vargas; May 5th, 2009 at 14:41.

Oooooowcheeey...

You'll want to send your watch (in fact, you'll want to send ALL the watches which you've made threads on here), to an expert watchmaker, for servicing and repairs, if you intend to use them. A good watchmaker ought to have a supply of crystals on hand to replace yours, or he may have to cut a whole new crystal.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

I was going to have them all serviced (I don’t usually wear a watch, and have never used a pocket watch) but main it hurt to see that crystal go!

I was using a microfiber polishing cloth any applying gentle pressure to the sides equally, and it just crumbled!

Thread Information