Waltham pocket watch parts – interchangeability

Thread: Waltham pocket watch parts – interchangeability

Waltham pocket watch parts – interchangeability

Greetings!

I am curious to know about the degree of interchangeability in Waltham pocket watch parts. Is there any kind of “general rule”? For example, are parts from Waltham pocket watch movements of the same size (movement size) and within a certain range of years “generally” interchangeable? Is there any overlap with other movement sizes? By that I mean, are there any parts from different sized (Waltham) movements that are interchangeable?

Thank you!

Re: Waltham pocket watch parts – interchangeability

Follow-up question, since I've done a bit of digging. Does anyone have a copy of the Waltham Watch Material Catalog from 1958 in PDF Format that they'd be willing to share? ~ Thank you!

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

You don't seem to be getting many replies so I'll chip in with very limited information. Generally, parts on watch movements from the same maker (let alone different ones) - even if it's "the same" calibre in a different size - tend NOT to be interchangeable. An exception can be made for certain parts between the same movement in lepine ("open face") and savonette ("hunter") versions, e.g. Unitas 6497 vs. 6498 movements. In those, e.g. the escapement and geartrain is interchangeable but the keyless works, mainspring bridge and base plate are not.

Hartmut Richter

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thank you for your reply! Perhaps my original question was confusing. I do not mean "interchangeable" in the sense of substituting one part for another. I mean interchangeable in the sense of exchanging the SAME part (ex. escape wheel) from another watch movement. I may be wrong, but I would assume that all parts from a given size and model have identical parts that could be interchanged. But I was curious to know if that extends anyway outside a particular model and/or size. When I discovered the Waltham parts catalog (although I have not seen ALL the pages yet), I noticed all the parts have part numbers. I would imagine that if a part is "identical" from one model to another, then the part number would be the same. Again, I'm just guessing since I don't have a copy. But I'll try to get my hands on one, and perhaps that will answer my question.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Oh, if it's a question of swapping a particular part from e.g. an ETA Cal. 2824 into another ETA 2824, this should be perfectly possible. Ever since the advent of machine made parts, this has been possible - one reason why machines were introduced for this job in the first place! The days of cottage industry made parts that have to be tailored post hoc to a particular movement are long past.....

Hartmut Richter

Thread Information