Waltham Vanguard 23 Jewels
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Waltham Vanguard 23 Jewels

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waltham Vanguard 23 Jewels

I just purchased this the other day at our local Antique Mall. I really got it at a very cheap price. I also received the paperwork for the cleaning and servicing back in 03/10/08. Runs perfect. Serial number dates the watch 1941. You got too love these U.S. Approved RR Pocket Watches.

Sal
    Attached Images Attached Images

NH102.22 likes this.

Re: Waltham Vanguard 23 Jewels

Very handsome, Spag. I suppose the very clean and uncluttered movement was because watchmakers couldn't afford to fancy stuff up during WWII, right?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    Very handsome, Spag. I suppose the very clean and uncluttered movement was because watchmakers couldn't afford to fancy stuff up during WWII, right?

Shanges,

When working on the railroad, I don't believe a fancy Pocket Watch was needed. Accurate time over looks! These watches really got banged around running Trains. They were also quite expensive at the time. I'm retired now, but I still run Trains for a private Railroad for fun now and then. I still use my RR Pocket Watches, too show off.

Sal

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

No no no, I'm not referring to the case, I mean the movement inside. In older watches (even RR ones) the movements were often intricately engraved with decoration. But this one is very plain. Why is that? Was it just the changing style of the time? Or did the war have something to do with it?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

No no no, I'm not referring to the case, I mean the movement inside. In older watches (even RR ones) the movements were often intricately engraved with decoration. But this one is very plain. Why is that? Was it just the changing style of the time? Or did the war have something to do with it?
    I see what you mean, I would say both. Mine is dated 1941 so most likely they were just cutting corners I guess? Our 435C Ball Pocket Watches are somewhat plain also.

Sal

Yeah I suppose that's true. It's a very handsome Waltham. It looks to be in excellent condition. What is your job on the railroad? Conductor? Engineer?

My Ball 435C is doing wonderfully, thank you. Keeping perfect RR time.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Yeah I suppose that's true. It's a very handsome Waltham. It looks to be in excellent condition. What is your job on the railroad? Conductor? Engineer?

My Ball 435C is doing wonderfully, thank you. Keeping perfect RR time.
    FRA Class 1 Locomotive Engineer. Have a good one.

Regards,
    Sal

The lack of decoration on the movement was a cost cutting measure by Waltham. Walthams of this era were rather plain compared to Elgin and Hamilton RR watches, reflecting the poor economic state of the company in its last couple of decades. However, they were still good timekeepers.

Thanks, Sal. I'm so proud of my Ball RR watch.

And thanks for the information, Ron. I had wondered why some watch companies continued to decorate their movement-plates, and some left them totally bare, like this one.

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Leadership of Waltham passed into the hands of Frederick Dumaine in the mid 20's, and he was practically the archtype of no-nonsense, penny pinching corporate tyrant. Under his direction, Waltham slashed their R&D department and did everything they could to get the most income from the least amount of expense. Unimportant things like damasking and quality were left off whenever possible.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information