The Waltham Verithin

Thread: The Waltham Verithin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Waltham Verithin

More boring promotion for the little Gruen pocketwatches. Gruen started the 1920+ popularity of the small thin pocketwatch with the patented Verithin in 1904. After 10+ years sales improved, and the huge compared to Gruen, Waltham answered with a very similar 10 size in 1918. The one shown here is best of many similar Waltham 10s grades. Did not use the Verithin gear train arrangement but looks like a copy. Click second time for details.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; March 11th, 2010 at 13:27. Reason: photos

Re: The Waltham Verithin

Art, your research on Gruen is far from boring, please keep it coming. Can we look forward to a future published article about these, maybe in the Bulletin?
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

Appreciate your support and suggestion. I am superficial technically, compared to most Bulletin contributors, but I may have something soon to offer. The 50th Gruen recently shown is getting thorough careful service by a really expert amatuer who has amazing photos of disassembly of one he had showing the surprisingly fine hidden finish and gold parts in it. Hope also to solidify some of the so far unverifiable info I am gaining for at least some decent historical perspective. Obviously anything about Gruen and
    Columbus very welcome.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting; the serial number on your Waltham indicates a 12size. Your watch is very near the beginning of the series; the first 10s Colonial A was serial# 22,280,001; yours is 22280023. That might explain the records discrepency. Interestingly, the 10s Colonial A used 90% of the same parts as the 14s; the plates were the only real difference. They did the same thing with other Colonial models (but using 12s parts in the 14s version). I believe the 14s versions had to use a Waltham specific case instead of the industry standard size; at least, I know that was true of the Colonial B.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Appreciate your observation. I have 4 of these Colonial types. Presently locked up in a bank. All I know is 3 are same size slightly larger than the Maximus A. I think all with 22 million numbers. I was assuming 12 size for those; might be 14. The Maximus is definitely a 10s as you observe and as I see in a movement reference. A relatively rare one, but not yet especially valuable.
    Last edited by artb; March 11th, 2010 at 19:41.

Art, everybody looks forward to and appreciates your
    sharing of your wonderful watches. It wasn't to long ago
    that we hadn't even seen an Ultra Veri-thin on this
    forum and now we are seeing a world class collection.

Me ...I just drool.

Hi -

Very often the difference between a good watch and a great watch really does lie in the detail work. I have had the opportunity to see a Patek pocket watch disassembled, and the attention to the little things - like mirror polishing on the underside of the escapement, fine finishing that only a watchmaker will see and appreciate, hardened gold gears faces and extremely tight tolerances on the jewel/pivot interfaces - helps the watch perform just that slightly better and more elegantly than its less expensive counterpart.

Please keep these posts coming!

JohnF
    コスト下げ やる気も一緒に 下げられる

I love the pentagon watch in the first advertisment. I don't understand the second one, though.

"Granddad's WALTHAM ticked off the stirring minutes of 'Sixty-Two'"

...sixty two what?
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangas View Post
    I love the pentagon watch in the first advertisment. I don't understand the second one, though.

"Granddad's WALTHAM ticked off the stirring minutes of 'Sixty-Two'"

...sixty two what?
    At that time of 1920+ civil war veterans were grandfathers some using 1862 Waltham watches. President Lincoln used 1862 Waltham model 57 William Ellery a cheap plain silver one.

I have to imagine it's a reference to the Civil War. Techncially that started in 61, but the real fighting began in 62.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information