want to repair, restore my grandpa's Doxa :)

Thread: want to repair, restore my grandpa's Doxa :)

want to repair, restore my grandpa's Doxa :)

First of all, hello to all of you who are reading this, and thank you in advance for your time.

I have wondered for some time all across the web searching for some good advice about my granpa's Doxa, wich he left me before passing away :( and I decided to make my first move here on this forum as I think it's one of the best place, and I'm fully convinced that I will get the right answers :)

1: could you tell the name and year of the model please?!

2: could it be restored and brought to a 'like new' condition?!

3: can I trust a 'local' repair guy or I should sent it to some professional abroad..or why not, to Doxa S.A.

Thanks a bunch guys..I'll be forever in debt with you :)

Lorenco
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: want to repair, restore my grandpa's Doxa :)

Hi!

There is no definitive serial number list from Doxa as they say that their records were destroyed in a flood in the 1970s. However I have read that the first two digits represents the date of manufacturer so yours could be from 1952?? [sorry cannot quite see the number in the pic]

regards

tim

Hi, 1952 sounds right, the dial is in ruff shape, but does not look too bad, a redial could be costly, I don't know of anyone who redials old Doxa, the movement looks ok just needs a service job ( oil, and cleaning). the case is finicky, it's plated so if there is any buffing to do go easy on it.
    My 1954 says hi :)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Fantasyvoyager; September 28th, 2011 at 02:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

A good redialer could help you if the raised pieces are salvageable, but there is not much in the way of resources for vintage DOXA.

The current company basically bought the name and reinvented it into a dive watch company (2 incarnations, in fact). They have no real connection to the watch of your era besides the name.

That being said, parts are rare for these, but this was a popular watch in Europe, so you may have an easier time getting parts and service (from one who might know the watch) than us in the U.S.
    "My grail showed up today"

Wow..so many shortcuts..

Thankyou Tim for helping me 'read' the numbers from the rear :).

Thank you 'Fantasyvoyager' for reassuring Tim and I about the numbers and showing us your gorgeous Doxa (shortly, hopefully, mine too will look just like yours--will keep you posted ;))

And thank you 'Mrs Nak' about reassuring me about the whole :)

I feel like my grandpa's watch begin to get somehow, an identity besides it's meaning, and hopefully it will get back it's shine soon enough...anyway I'll keep you posted about :)

Thanks again guys.

Well the watch movement has a fairly common ETA movement so if part are needed for it, then it would be easy to source.
    I'm a watchbreaker not a watchmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by ltri View Post
    Well the watch movement has a fairly common ETA movement so if part are needed for it, then it would be easy to source.
    Good call. Didn't know Doxa was using ETA movements in this era. Makes it all the easier.
    "My grail showed up today"

Thread Information