watch gaining too fast
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GeneJockey

Thread: watch gaining too fast

watch gaining too fast

Hi Guys,
    Some days ago I posted pics of Favre leuba pocket watch which was identified as a montilier movement.
    Now the question is it is going too fast after a cleaning.When I bought the watch it was ticking very slowly may be due to dirt.But it is now going 2 minutes per hour fast.I have checked the hairspring very carefully, it is in perfect condition true and flat.There were 2 timing washers I removed both of them but still its gaining 2 minutes,I changed the mainspring but of no luck.Please suggest some way to correct it as close as possible.Tried to put the watch on all positions but the result is the same.Is there something to check the escape wheel and pallet stones?.FYI the lever is striking the banking pins a bit hard like I get a ticking sound loudly.I also demagnitized the watch.
    Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by amitab12; February 26th, 2014 at 15:21.

Re: watch gaining too fast

Quote Originally Posted by amitab12 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Some days ago I posted pics of Favre leuba pocket watch which was identified as a montilier movement.
    Now the question is it is going too fast after a cleaning.When I bought the watch it was ticking very slowly may be due to dirt.But it is now going 2 minutes per hour fast.I have checked the hairspring very carefully, it is in perfect condition true and flat.There were 2 timing washers I removed both of them but still its gaining 2 minutes,I changed the mainspring but of no luck.Please suggest some way to correct it as close as possible.Tried to put the watch on all positions but the result is the same.Is there something to check the escape wheel and pallet stones?.FYI the lever is striking the banking pins a bit hard like I get a ticking sound loudly.I also demagnitized the watch.
    Thanks for any help.
    If it was gaining, why would you REMOVE weight from the balance wheel, which would make it run even faster?

It COULD BE that the amplitude is so high that it's knocking - that is, the balance comes around all the way till the roller jewel hits the OUTSIDE of the pallet fork and rebounds. In bad cases, this sounds like a tiny horse galloping in your watch. Try listening closely. Then let off all the power, and wind it up just a little, till it's running but with low amplitude, and listen again. If they sound different, especially if there's another 'tick' or 'click' noise between ticks when it's fully wound, then it may be knocking. That generally means that the mainspring is too strong.

I had one like that once, a 19j Elgin 671. When I got it it ran well, but after cleaning it was knocking. I think someone had put in a stronger mainspring rather than cleaning it sometime earlier in its life. Once it was cleaned, the friction in the train was reduced enough that amplitude was much too high. I found the weakest mainspring I could for it, and now it runs great.
    radger likes this.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent - Pogo

My Elgin Blog...

Re: watch gaining too fast

It COULD BE that the amplitude is so high that it's knocking - that is, the balance comes around all the way till the roller jewel hits the OUTSIDE of the pallet fork and rebounds. In bad cases, this sounds like a tiny horse galloping in your watch. Try listening closely.
    +1...rebanking is a good possibility. The sound is very distinctive. One thing about this problem that should be mentioned is that a movement may not begin the galloping instantly - it can take time in a stationary position for the balance to build up amplitude to the point it is a problem. So if you wind the watch and pick it up to listen to the tick you may not hear it...leave the watch where you can get your ear close to it without moving it, let it run and then listen.

If not this then I would think the problem is in the hairspring...they can be diabolical to observe. Perhaps also the regulator pins...

I had one like that once, a 19j Elgin 671.
    Three times for me...All Elgins. A 17j 8/0 and two 18/0s - a 15j and a 17j. I guess we are doing too good a job of cleaning.

Thread Information