a watch i got from a car boot sale ?

Thread: a watch i got from a car boot sale ?

a watch i got from a car boot sale ?

ok i got this watch from car boot sale ,i have done a little reserch on it and i know its made by a company in liverpool called boodles and dunthorpes ,now this company sells other brands of watchs/gold/ect ,what i cant understand is thw watch has boodles stamped on the front and i think its been made by themselfs??

any imput would be nice ,thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by suttie; June 6th, 2010 at 16:11.

Re: a watch i got from a car boot sale ?

Long gone are the days of watch manufacturing in the UK. I believe you're confusing Boodle and Dunthorpe, a watchmaker of the past, with present day Boodles, which is a jewellery retailer. Boodles has the watches custom stamped with their logo or name, but they do not make them.
    If you take a close look at the watch dial, on either side of the six it says SWISS MADE.
    Perhaps it's a high-end watch, but no one can tell you who made it without seeing clear close-up pics of the watch movement.
    If you're not familiar with opening watches, then it's far better to have a watchmaker do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchloon View Post
    Long gone are the days of watch manufacturing in the UK. I believe you're confusing Boodle and Dunthorpe, a watchmaker of the past, with present day Boodles, which is a jewellery retailer. Boodles has the watches custom stamped with their logo or name, but they do not make them.
    If you take a close look at the watch dial, on either side of the six it says SWISS MADE.
    Perhaps it's a high-end watch, but no one can tell you who made it without seeing clear close-up pics of the watch movement.
    If you're not familiar with opening watches, then it's far better to have a watchmaker do it for you.
    thanks for the reply ,fyi ,the watch is 18k gold and it has 1967 stamped on the back plate...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome.

As Watchloon says, this would have been made for Boodles by a Swiss watch company and simply badged with their name - just as happens now with lots of products. As Boodles is quite a posh, upmarket, jewellers - they stock Patek Philippe - the watch is probably very good quality. They wouldn't want their own label products to gain a reputation for being shoddy or unreliable.

http://www.boodles.com/

It looks like you got a very nice watch - possibly 1960s or 1970s - in great condition. BTW, thanks for not asking 'what its worth' as we don't do valuations in here.
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Quote Originally Posted by suttie View Post
    thanks for the reply ,fyi ,the watch is 18k gold and it has 1967 stamped on the back plate...
    Wow - that's good. What kind of classy car boot sales do you get to?
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Please don't PM me to ask for a valuation - I won't attempt one.

Thread Information