Watch identification
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blumache

Thread: Watch identification

Watch identification

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I recently found a couple of my grandfarthers old watches and have been trying to work out what make/model they are.
    If anyone know anything about old watches and thinks they might know what they are or where I can find out please post below.
    Name:  CAM00350.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  402.9 KB

Name:  CAM00358.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  674.7 KB

Name:  CAM00362.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  205.4 KB

Name:  CAM00355.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  470.0 KB

Name:  CAM00359.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  183.7 KB
    mkws likes this.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Watch identification

Welcome to Watchuseek! You have two nice watches there. "Chronograph Suisse" wasn't really a maker but more of a conglomerate who made affordable solid gold chronographs. In order to achieve this aim of a "budget" chronograph, they used the cheapest and most common chronograph movement (Landeron 48 series: bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: Landeron 48) and put it in a wafer thin gold case. They skimped on gold where they could, hollowing out the lugs and making the rest of the case so thin that a massive base metal (brass) movement holder ring and a supporting base metal case back had to be used. Nevertheless, your watch looks in good condition and if you continue to use it as a dress rather than an activity watch, it will remain like that and serve you well in many years to come.

The second watch is by Doxa, better known for their diver watch with an orange dial (still made today). The movement is orginally by ETA, with some bridge modification:

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: ETA 1081

I you want to use either watch, have it/them serviced by a professional watchmaker first - it increases their lifespan greatly!

Hartmut Richter

Beutiful lugs and dial in a great condition on the Doxa. I wonder if the watch is solid gold or not, and what is the year of manufacture- if you post the pictures of the inside and outside of the caseback, it'll be possible to determine that.
    I have a Doxa with the same movement, without shock device, dating to 1950- soon after that they started to use movements with Incabloc, so this one must date no later than 1951/1952.
    Hand-wound ETA movements in Doxa usually have this bridge modification- it is often misleading, and many Doxa watches out on eBay are described as having an in-house movement. Same goes for the ones having the Aurore-Villeret 110, but that is due to that movement being somewhat less recognizable than a typical ETA.
    With that design of this Doxa, it'll make a great dress watch, methinks. I think that you just need to fit a new strap- I would recommend a black or brown lizard one. Have it serviced and wear it in good health!
    I must admit, that your grandfather's choice of watches was great. Two beautiful pieces, and judging by their condition he clearly cared for them.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi and welcome
    Not much more I can add.
    Two lovely original pieces
    The chronograph being my favorite.
    Do not be too put off by Hartmut, your case has a Poincon De Maitre or a responsibility mark - a hammer head with a number in it, that is a guarantee of gold case quality, if you tell me the number inside the hammer head we can determine the case manufacturer

Wear and ENJOY
    A
    Last edited by HOROLOGIST007; June 13th, 2015 at 22:40.
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

What a nice Doxa! needs a nice leather strap asap

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Don't be too hasty in throwing that plastic strap away. They can be a bit quirky. I have something similar in a bracelet form. Is yours a strap with buckle or bracelet style?

It's a guarantee of gold content, nothing more. You'll note on the movement shot that the movement ring says "metal"...that's to Hartmut's point about the thinness of the case. You can see how the copperish "metal" part right goes right to the very very edge of the case (most notable near the top, where you can see there's only about a mm or so of gold material there).
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Thanks, very interesting answers...If i want to sell this watches, a realistic valuations of them?

"Chronograph Suisse" - The number from the hummer is 132. In rest 18k,0.750 and 376 another number
    Last edited by blumache; June 14th, 2015 at 06:52.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumache View Post
    Thanks, very interesting answers...If i want to sell this watches, a realistic valuations of them?
    We don't do valuations here on the whole and there is a sticky explaining why. However the chrono sell regularly on eBay so I suggest a search of sold listings will give you some idea.

Thread Information