watch identification

Thread: watch identification

watch identification

Hi guys i`m a newbe at this and to watch collecting in general my old aunt gave me a ladies watch some time ago and i put it in a drawer, she has dementure and although she made a big thing of it i thought it was just down to her condition but came across it recently and my newfound interest took over and thought i ought to find out more about it. I`ve never heard of the watch, it has Eme on the face and either M8 or MB imprinted on the back along with staybright, but no serial numbers, it it one to cherish or banish to the drawer again....many thanks, hope i`ve done this right...regards ..libbypuatd

Re: watch identification

For any accurate help with your watch, you'll need to post clear close up pictures of the watch. Both front and back, and if possible, a picture of the movement will help greatly.
    https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/westfield-watch-company.109201/

A friend is truly a prize indeed, others not so much. So if I lead you believe you're in the latter, please read........
    http://markmanson.net/internet

Lets see if I can work with what we were given.... Staybrite was, I believe, another name given to stainless steel. The watch is European. 1940's. Round dial? Manual wind. Probably 15 jewels. Mens. Either a chrome or gold plated case?

Fun game but honestly....I can try and guess what the lottery numbers are going to be too...with less possibility of accuracy than guessing on the watch but still. Pics do help and if you need any assistance uploading them we are here to help. :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd expect a Staybrite marking to indicate a full Staybrite case- not plated. That's unless there's a "Fond Acier Staybrite" or "Fond Acier Inox/(ydable)". Staybrite steel was an alloy often used in the 1930s, all the way until the 1960s, if I remember correctly.
    Mikrolisk lists one Eme, as a trademark of Montres Yra of Geneve, registered in 1929.
    Still, there's nothing to be said for sure, until we see the actual watch. The dial, the movement, both sides of the case back.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by libbypuatd View Post
    she has dementure and although she made a big thing of it i thought it was just down to her condition
    Dementia destroys memory not reason nor intelligence, although both are also negatively affected by age, so if she remembers it and made a big thing of it then it was important to her at one time.

Whether she can remember why of course is another issue. Importance has little relation to value.

Pozdrowienia dla Polski! (just sending some greetings to someone I might know). Yes, we need pictures of the watch and possibly the movement to say more.

Thread Information