Are watch prices high or low? - Page 2

Thread: Are watch prices high or low?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Are watch prices high or low?

Quote Originally Posted by vintageguy View Post
    the true value of a watch is intheeye of the buyer. do your research, and make an offer. if you're rebuffed,
    move on, and keep looking. it's only a watch, not your first born you're bargaining for.
    I'm just looking for justification to either temper or continue my buying spree. Yeah, I should only buy those pieces I really like, but I like quite a few that I've seen.

Mike

I don't see any incontrovertible evidence that the market is moving in any direction, in my niche (Postwar Elgins). I'll see some nice pieces go for the high end of what I'd expect, but then a similar piece with a less fancy listing will go for a lot less. Then again, my niche is small enough that one well-heeled and undiscriminating buyer could skew the whole market!

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GeneJockey View Post
    Then again, my niche is small enough that one well-heeled and undiscriminating buyer could skew the whole market!
    And here is the truth of it once you are outside of the mass market brands such as Omega. One or two buyers who are interested in certain pieces can skew prices out of all proportion to the usual market price. Looking back over time, who could say if the price certain watches sold for were normal unless there was a good volume of them?
    Last edited by Mirius; December 18th, 2011 at 23:31.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Vintage & NAWCC Forum moderator Ben_hutcherson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    And here is the truth of it once you are outside of the mass market brands such as Omega. One or two buyers who are interested in certain pieces can skew prices out of all proportion to the usual market price. Looking back over time, who could say if the price certain watches sold for were normal unless there was a good volume of them?
    One of the brands I collect is the United States Watch Company of Marion, NJ(although I'm far from a serious collector of these-they're a minor interest).

Lately, there's been a buyer on Ebay who has been indiscriminately buying up every one that comes up for sale. I know it's been the same buyer for nearly all of them.

I've bid against him a couple of times, but at least on the more common stuff it's just not worth it(particularly since I have more reliable off-Ebay sources at better prices).

About two months ago, a fairly scarce one that I would have really liked to have came up for sale. I found a couple that had sold at live auctions in the $500-600 range. This one had some condition problems, so I expect it to be on the lower end of that. Even so, I set my personal maximum at $700 since I really wanted it.

It ended up being myself and Mr. Deep Pockets, and he came out on top for one bid increment over my $700 max.

I quit bidding on them after that!
    Member National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors
    Member, NAWCC Chapter 149. Vice President and Secretary NAWCC Chapter 140. Member, NAWCC Convention Committee.
    Serious collector of American pocket watches-Waltham(and the predecessor companies) is my specialty.

Quote Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
    I'm just looking for justification to either temper or continue my buying spree. Yeah, I should only buy those pieces I really like, but I like quite a few that I've seen.

Mike
    Continue on your spree. If you see something you really like just go for it. I personally don't think vintage watch prices will suddenly drop and make whatever watch more affordable. If for some reason they did drop I don't think it would end up saving you a significant amount of money.

I wouldn't mind overpaying a little if it involved a watch that I really like and was in good condition. The thing about vintage is you run the risk of never seeing that watch again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    One or two buyers who are interested in certain pieces can skew prices out of all proportion to the usual market price. Looking back over time, who could say if the price certain watches sold for were normal unless there was a good volume of them?
    Hey, no finger pointing...

Rarity of a lot of vintage pieces will never let the price bottom out, IMO. There are always going to be collectors and new buyers in the market. A nice example will always sell.

Overall, it seems to me that prices have been fairly steady and/or climbing on the watches I've been collecting the last few years. I do LOVE it when I steal one on ebay though, and it still does, although not as often as it used to happen. It usually happens when a seller screws up their heading or description, or their too lazy to post much info, which keeps many buyers a way. I send private messages all the time to get clarifications. Sometimes, I strike gold!
    Last edited by Ed Barclay; December 20th, 2011 at 00:00.

Quote Originally Posted by baronrojo View Post
    Continue on your spree. If you see something you really like just go for it. I personally don't think vintage watch prices will suddenly drop and make whatever watch more affordable. If for some reason they did drop I don't think it would end up saving you a significant amount of money.

I wouldn't mind overpaying a little if it involved a watch that I really like and was in good condition. The thing about vintage is you run the risk of never seeing that watch again.
    I agree with that last line, part of why I'm still looking to buy...It would be nice to know how many of a particular model where made, but I haven't been able find that type of info...

What do folks think of the box/papers part, is it significant, or should I not be too concerned with it.

Mike
    Last edited by panamamike; December 20th, 2011 at 01:20.

Quote Originally Posted by panamamike View Post
    I agree with that last line, part of why I'm still looking to buy...It would be nice to know how many of a particular model where made, but I haven't been able find that type of info...

What do folks think of the box/papers part, is it significant, or should I not be too concerned with it.

Mike
    The original box and papers for a vintage watch is a bonus, but never a deal breaker for me. It's not like I'm going to be storing it in the original box anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information