Watch Repair Help

Thread: Watch Repair Help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Watch Repair Help

I'm recently sent my angeleus chronodato for repair at what I thought was a reputable watchmaker. I got them back today and on the angeleus it feels like it is very tough to wind and the bottom stopwatch pusher does not work. As well as on both the watches it looks like they just Pryed open the watch not caring about keeping it in good condition. I will try to show this in pictures. Is this normal for vintage watch repair?? Also anyone have any suggestions of where to send them to have then fixed as in I will not deal with this watchmaker again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Watch Repair Help

Very sad
    The Angelus is especially a lovely and valuable piece
    NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT. FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL. THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE.

"Failure is not an option" - Gene Kranz
    "Owning a vintage watch is great, understanding where it sits in Horology is magnificent"
    and
    "By Teaching Others, We Teach Ourselves"
    Adam

Inactive

Looks pretty butchered, but have you any pics of the condition before you sent it to him?

Have you not had it out with him about what he's caused and not fixed and at least got a full/partial refund ?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Watch Repair Help

I unfortunately didn't document it beforehand but I assume that since the slash looks very similar on both watches it was not there before. And I'm going to call about a full refund but I wanted to see my options first.

Do you think it is possible to fix this damage?

Sorry to see you have had a bad service, if you dont trust taking it back to the guy to have it fixed then post where you live and others might suggest someone to take it to. Dont know if anything can be done with the case back maybe a watch guy can tidy it up a bit better.

I originally got it fixed in New Jersey ac I can get the watch to the Los Angeles area as well if there are more superior places there as well.

You're rather cavalier about sending off thousand dollar watches for repair without (apparently) confirming the abilities of the person you send them to, or documenting their previous condition. I have a very hard time believing that anyone who legitimately calls themselves a "watchmaker" would do this kind of damage on a rare and valuable watch; what "credentials" did this individual present as to their ability to handle working on such esoteric pieces?
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

I bright them to my locAl jewelry store which my family has been using for years and they send it out to someone they use so i figured I could trust them. I should have taken pictures beforehand I don't know what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan692 View Post
    I bright them to my locAl jewelry store which my family has been using for years and they send it out to someone they use so i figured I could trust them.
    That explains a lot, unfortunately. Although I can't say much for the jewelry store either if they didn't bother to document any visible flaws before sending it out or when receiving it back. Find a qualified watchmaker, instruct them to fully service the watches and document the process (especially any servicing deficiencies) and present the bill to the jewelry store. At this point, I'd expect that to run a good $500.
    My growing collection of "affordable" vintages: http://www.abslomrob.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information