watch serviced, works mostly not worn
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: watch serviced, works mostly not worn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

watch serviced, works mostly not worn

I recently acquired 1932 Elgin, 7 jewel watch. Had it serviced. However, it seems to only work when wound and placed gently on the table. Simple wearing causes it to stop, and a simple flick of my finger gets it ticking again. Also, I find that speed of ticking isn't as fast after a windup, and a flick gets it to normal ticking sound, and on par with quartz. Tends to runs fast. Last time I opened it, regulator was all the way past the F, hovering above balance wheel. At watchmaker a 2nd time, was informed my opening up and moving of regulator caused kink in hairspring.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: watch serviced, works mostly not worn

I'm sorry but either the service was not really done very well or the watch has issues and needs parts replacement. From the way you describe it, I suspect either the dial side balance pivot or its jewel (when placed presumably dial up, the watch runs, showing that the lower pivot and jewel are OK). Even if it's the parts, the watchmaker shoiuld really have detected the issue when he was doing the watch first time round.....

Hartmut Richter
    badbackdan and bluestifford like this.

I was afraid of this. Only watchmaker near me. Got my 60s Omega working well (tho my official, yet slightly but noticeably scratched, Omega crystal was replaced with regular one). Oddly enough, it popped off 2 days ago. Its Seamaster deville, so its the compression type closure. Cant trust my thumb press as efficient enough haha.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wasn't too upset at crystal replacement...those 60s crystals don't hold up well...and $60 a pop, well theres only so many times where you give up.

I agree with Hartmut, your watchmaker should have detected the problem the first time. If the regulator was way out of whack, I would think he knew there was an issue already and just closed it up and gave it back. I think time to find a new watchmaker.
    Bobby - My original music! Check me out! Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...11CC8CC6093D80

When I'm finished with a watch the regulator hand is always in the middle so something sure is wrong with the watch, I suspect that either the balance spring is out of shape or the balance staff needs polishing or be replaced.

Pics.
    balaton likes this.
    Courtesy of ULF.

Name:  Screenshot_20180109-180821.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  87.3 KBName:  Screenshot_20180109-180841.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  86.6 KB

Heres some pics. Already dropped off at watchmaker I never knew was around the corner from me...along with others needing work. Maybe some good news for me after all.
    Shum likes this.

zaleskb1...sorry to say so, but it is not possible to ID any problem from your pictures...there are too many things that may be wrong, & a hands-on examination is required.

These Elgin movements age well, & are easy to work on...a good watchmaker really should have no problem either Servicing it, or telling you what the problem(s) is / are.

And: is that oil I see puddled in the upper 4th wheel & escape wheel oil cups?...is so, that is WAY too much oil...! Michael.

these pics are pre service. But it was ticking pre-service. (timing off, but ticking)...Hoping the new shop figures it out. Have an 1860s elgin 7 jewel that works flawlessly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information