Watch winder?

Thread: Watch winder?

Watch winder?

My mother-in law recently gave me her late husband's watches and Steinhausen winder (winds 4 watches). This is hardly a great winfall, though, and I now possess a fake Rolex, a fake Panerai, a fake Montres Allison (impressive, but fake nonetheless), a real Vostok (gaudy) and several reproduction navy canteen watches. All in all, nothing I would ever wear. There again, I can't get rid of them either, lest I invite lifelong reproach.

The winder is real, though, and I understand these don't come cheap. Unfortunately, it seems to be on the fritz.

Do I really need a winder? My vintages amount to a Gruen, a '60s Seamaster and an unrestored Buren (plus a manual wind Cyma). None have complications above a date window. The gent who services my watches tells me they're more of an indulgence than anything, and unless I have a bunch of chronos or more watches than I know what to do with, the winder isn't really necessary.

In other words, is it worth getting the thing repaired, or just to use it as fancy storage?

Cheers,

Jim

Re: Watch winder?

I would just use it as fancy storage - I am not a great believer in watch winders...

K.

.... and come to think of it, was the hell is a Montres Allison - was this a 'real' watchmaker, or were they some sort of Franklin Mint-type scam? I really can't find much at all on this outfit, so I'm guessing its the latter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a watch winder. It is pretty cool. I keep my two modern watches in it. I still have to give them a wind about once a week. My vintages (including the automatics) all get hand wound every day. It gives me a chance to bond with them.

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thread Information