Is this watch worth refurbishing?

Thread: Is this watch worth refurbishing?

Is this watch worth refurbishing?

Just re-discovered an 18k gold watch. The face is the only thing damaged with what looks like mildew spots.
    The hands and all gold is in perfect condition.
    Face is marked Desta, Swiss Made, 17 jwl.
    I wind it up a little and will run for a while but I'am afraid to damage it.

I'd like to find out a litle more info as to mfr, age and if it's refacing and cleaning,etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/arrozbla...eat=directlink

Last edited by rcalzadilla; May 11th, 2010 at 17:06.

Re: Is this watch worth refurbishing?

If it has tons of sentimental value, maybe, otherwise, no.

It depends what it is worth to you. Maybe have a watchmaker assess it and see what servicing will cost, and decide from there. Very nice looking watch, though.

Having said that...I adore vintage watches like this; if it were mine, it would already be at my watchmaker undergoing servicing!
    PM is not working for me. If you need to contact me, please email. Thanks! popokinui1(at)gmail(dot)com

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rcalzadilla View Post

Just re-discovered an 18k gold watch. The face is the only thing damaged with what looks like mildew spots.
    The hands and all gold is in perfect condition.
    Face is marked Desta, Swiss Made, 17 jwl.
    I wind it up a little and will run for a while but I'am afraid to damage it.

I'd like to find out a litle more info as to mfr, age and if it's refacing and cleaning,etc.

http://picasaweb.google.com/arrozbla...eat=directlink

When you say it is an 18k watch is it 18k plate or 18k alloy. Big difference. Desta is not a brand I am familiar with, although I've seen other stylish watches like yours. I suspect that it is one of many swiss brands that sold watches during the 1970's that disappeared in the later implosion of that industry.

Whether it is worth refurbishing really depends on what it represents to you and what you want out of it. If it is an inheritance or has other sentimental value and you intend to wear the watch, then I would say yes repair it to the extent you want to and your budget allows.

A movement cleaning and adjusting will run about $100.00. Since it runs it may not need any parts. A good watch redial and cleanup of the hands will run $100.00, maybe more. If tyhe case is truly gold then that will add to the looks and value of the finished product.
    Last edited by John MS; May 11th, 2010 at 19:49.

The bracelet is 18karat gold and is stamped (done by hand due to it's unevenness) as such, in the snap closure. Also I know the color of 18k.
    The back plate is also stamped (this time with a machine as the numbers are of an even depth and very clear) with 18 kt and below that 0,750.

I guess the case, though stamped 18k, might be plated but, it looks exactly the same color as the bracelet.

The 70's sounds about right since, my ethnic group (American-Cuban), in New York City at the time would only buy 18k jewelry. The bracelet design is also extremely familiar to me, again, everyone seemed to buy this design used on watches, bracelets (for man and woman). There were other designs but this was a popular one.

The watch is mint, without signs of wear.

Anyway, thanks for response.

Oh, also, the bracelet weighs 46.59 grams.
    Last edited by rcalzadilla; May 11th, 2010 at 20:59.

Thread Information