Watches with a dark history - would you buy/ wear one?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Watches with a dark history - would you buy/ wear one?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Watches with a dark history - would you buy/ wear one?

Okay the thread about the Saddam Insane Fortis got me thinking? Would you buy a watch with a dark sinister history? And if so would you wear it?
    That Fortis is a horrible looking piece of tack. But like it or not it has great social and political history (if original). I have a number of watches from the DDR, the former East Germany, which is considered to have been one of the most oppressive regimes in modern social history. The majority of my DDR watches are just normal watches for the people at the time. But one watch is for 30 years’ service in the Stasi. Another an official gift from the SED. And the 3rd an award issued to members of the DDR Civil Defence. So all three with a dark history. One watch I really like and have been wearing for two weeks now, but the other two are pretty much Commie tat but I want them for their historical significance. So what are your thoughts? I suppose it really boils down to if you just collect watches and/or have an interest in history also, or not….

Re: Watches with a dark history - would you buy/ wear one?

Good thread
    As for myself I can not wear all those old russian watches
    with MADE IN USSR or Cделано в СССР
    because CCCP was one of the worst things to happen to Lithuania and it is very insulting to see those watches let alone wear them
    No problem with MADE IN RUSSIA or kirilica letters which i can read
    Chaos is my focus

A watch is a watch is a watch. Period. Just that - a watch. I find it ridiculous how people shell out tons of money to get hold of Goering's pilot watch or the original watch worn by Rudolf Hess on his flight to England ... or that worn by a soldier in the trenches at Verdun or at Stalingrad or at 'Omaha', 'Juno' or 'Gold'. Because at the end of the day it's just a watch. Either it runs (then it's a good watch) or it doesn't (then it needs a service.) A watch doesn't become evil just because someone evil wrote something in its face or on its back. It still remains a watch.

As simple as that.

If someone feels put off by an individual watch's history, it's a different story - but then, in such a case I'd recommend to just leave it alone.

As for that Saddam thing: this is just bad taste. Like all those allegedly German Army watches sold in the bay, bristling with swastikas and SS-runes. Not evil - just bad taste.

Best,
    Tomcat
    SilkeN, armian, busmatt and 3 others like this.
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I pretty much agree with Tomcat on this and add :Evil is as evil does not what evil wears on the wrist.

Nobody is talking about evil watches :)
    Would You wear a watch with a name and surname of a person who killed(just an example) Your brother or something like that?
    Chaos is my focus

IT's a intersting question. Born as a "West-German" the history of my country has serveral dark points. For myself it's a very interesting fact that I learn a lot of circumstances people live by collecting old watches an make researches about them. Political and historical facts changes also the watch markets. For myself I would never ever buy watches with Nazie symbols. They are fortunately vorbidden in germany and many of the people who sell/buy that stuff (you can) often deal with it just because of this symbols. Therefore its a "no Go" and a horror for myself. Watches out of this aera may be with decend army number (I don't have one) would be okay for myself, because this dark area is a part of the history and should not get forgotten. But only if they make a part of the collection "round". The most collectors of east german watches I know are born in east germany and they usually see "Stasie" as a dark part of history but their history and buy them without glorification / misrepresentation like some of the nazie stuff buyer/seller. Therefore I wouldn't avoid them but renounce wearing watches with readable symbols/ stasie signs. You might hurt someone or send wrong signals. This is just my personal perceive about german people/history. Other might feel in another way and with foreign "dark history" its much more difficult to understand the actual feeling/interpretation. Therefore collecting with soft symbols and hidden engravings in respect of the history is okay for me.

KInd regards
    That's what I think about today:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUGeY7MWVo

Quote Originally Posted by laikrodukas View Post
    Nobody is talking about evil watches :)
    Would You wear a watch with a name and surname of a person who killed(just an example) Your brother or something like that?
    Are you replying to my post or Tomcats?

In general
    Chaos is my focus

I personally wouldn`t wear anything that represents the darker side of human nature,whether it be tshirt`s,badges,or watches.
    Sdasurrey likes this.

@ laikrodukas: I agree, this can become very personal. If I laid hands upon, say, a trench watch once worn by the British soldier who shot my great-grandfather's brother at Passchendaele, I don't see a reason why I wouldn't wear it.

If someone killed my brother and was sent to the chair, and his earthly belongings ended in the bay afterwards ... would I bid? Sure. Would I wear it? Less sure - maybe I'd trade it. But that would be very, VERY personal a decision to make

In the end, no watch in the world was made to be worn by a criminal, regardless of on which scale the wearer was criminal. I bet, Idi Amin's gold watches (if up for auction) would earn a decent sum Still - wearing them is just bad taste, it doesn't make the wearer any more evil or less good.

Best,
    Tomcat
    After all's been said and done, there's a lot more said than done...

Patina: little pieces of history put on old watches and forgotten there by the maker of time

"Miracles?", he asked. "Forget about miracles. Those who walk on water just know where the stepstones are."

"Luxury watches - you acquire the right to take care of them, but they remain the property of their manufacturers."
    (Roland Ranfft)

Now available for your Kindle or Kindle Reader:

Tracks in a Blizzard - A (German) Christmas Ghost Story

Check me out on Facebook! / Visit us on Facebook! / Visit us in our living room!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information