Watchmaker cant fix my Pocket Watch - Help Please!

Thread: Watchmaker cant fix my Pocket Watch - Help Please!

Watchmaker cant fix my Pocket Watch - Help Please!

The item in question is my Hampden Pocket Watch - an heirloom that I am hoping to restore ASAP.

The issue is: No Watchmaker can find a jeweler that will repair the case. The hinge of the case has snapped. From what Watchmakers tell me, this is a very specialized craft to fix the case hinge, which involves a new tube and soldering.

The first Watchmaker had my watch for three months. He could not find a local jeweler to repair the case and hinge. So he did not restore the watch. I have done some calling around locally, and the other Watchmaker I called said it would take a year! (Read: YEAR) to repair the case hinge.

I have done some research on Boston area restorers, but maybe I am missing someone. If you are able, please recommend a Watchmaker who has a great relationship with a specialized jeweler who can fix my case. Thanks!

Down where people say "How's it goin'" and wait for an answer.

Re: Watchmaker cant fix my Pocket Watch - Help Please!

Is the case solid gold?

If not (i.e. it's gold filled), have you considered recasing the watch? It's commonly done, and the case its in is likely not original as those cases were only intended to last a decade or two.

If it is solid gold, it should be well within the abilities of a skilled jeweler. I work as a jeweler, but that is out of the realm of my skill, as I've only been doing minor stuff for a couple years, but I don't see how it would be too far off from replacing a hinge on a tennis bracelet.
    | HKED Bund| Casio Riseman |1940's Bulova Tank | Orient Black Mako | Helm Vanuatu v2 | 60's Benrus Auto |
    I got out of watches for a long time, but I'm coming back!

Please post pictures of the Hampden movement and inner case back as well. Your watch has issues with a missing seconds hand and chipped dial as well. It will be easier to give you advice if all info is there. Repairing a bad case is always going to be very expensive.
    Erik_H
    Member NAWCC Chapter 149

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Omega Forum Moderator emmanuelgoldstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaracer1 View Post
    The item in question is my Hampden Pocket Watch - an heirloom that I am hoping to restore ASAP.

The issue is: No Watchmaker can find a jeweler that will repair the case. The hinge of the case has snapped. From what Watchmakers tell me, this is a very specialized craft to fix the case hinge, which involves a new tube and soldering.

The first Watchmaker had my watch for three months. He could not find a local jeweler to repair the case and hinge. So he did not restore the watch. I have done some calling around locally, and the other Watchmaker I called said it would take a year! (Read: YEAR) to repair the case hinge.

I have done some research on Boston area restorers, but maybe I am missing someone. If you are able, please recommend a Watchmaker who has a great relationship with a specialized jeweler who can fix my case. Thanks!

I had a similar problem I took my watch to the the watchmaker below and he was able to fix the watch. He had it back to me in about a months time.

http://www.watertownwatchandclock.com/
    “Education is the inculcation of the incomprehensible into the indifferent by the incompetent”

-- John Maynard Keynes

Thanks for your replies. The watchmaker says parts of the movement are gold and silver plated. And I think he said the case is the same way. I really don't think the case is solid gold, but will need to confirm. He says it's from around 1890. I have posted pics in this forum about 3 months ago, but did not open the watch.

Again, I am not worried about fixing the watch and full restoration. He said he could repair and restore very easily. It is the case that is in question.

Sounds like a recase will be my best option. But won't that take away from the originality? This is an important heirloom. All thoughts very much appreciated.

Take a deep breath and accept it for what it is. If you change this and you change that, what have you really done?

The real beauty of this watch is the time it has already counted. Get a display for it at a craft store or home store and love it for what it is. IMHO
    Gary
    Enjoy The Company Of Armitron to Casio to to Elgin to Invicta, to Seiko to Rolex to Waltham & More

No need for a recase, hinge repairs requiring the brazing of
    new tubes are common and not to expensive. A quick search
    reveals at least one U.S repairer.....
    http://www.horologist.com/repair_prices.htm

This is a fine, family heirloom hunter-case pocket watch.

I say you should save up the money and take your time searching for watchmakers and jewellers who can fix it. In the end, it will be worth it.
    "Pipes are occasionally of extraordinary interest...nothing has more individuality save, perhaps, watches and bootlaces."

- Sherlock Holmes.

'The Yellow Face'.

Thread Information