Watchmakers/fixers.,.general service question
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Vintage1982
  • 1 Post By GhentWatch

Thread: Watchmakers/fixers.,.general service question

Watchmakers/fixers.,.general service question

any help/opinions...much appreciated in advance;

I just received a nice clean vintage Enicar and after a good soft polish and crystal work-its beeautiful and the movement looks very clean-hardly any rotor wear, etc. Obviously it could use a good clean/service as I don't know the history and should assume that at the least. But based on the following I was wondering if anyone could venture an opinion on what I might be looking at in terms of the problem. I ask because I often barter with my watchmaker for watches I may not wear in return for service on the ones I know I will. He was very accurate in telling me that one watch whose second hand and hour hand was working well but who's minute hand was not moving on its own was most likely a pinion problem and it was. That was a 50s rolex -date-.

This watch is an Enicar Sherpa Date with a 1440 automatic movement. It has basically the same problem except-

1. The second hand will continue to keep time until it winds down

2. the minute and hours hand will sometimes run fine for a few hours then slow down -or- the opposite, It will not move at all for 15- 20min. and then start up and keep time for a few hours or more but eventually slow down.

3. I realize that its in obvious need for service and simply put: it hesitates and runs slow.

4. But I am so I am asking if this can be logically assumed or not to have something to do with the pinion as did my other watch?
    or is it near impossible to tell from what I described.

Not looking for a 100% answer-just a ball park guess. But if the reality is its too difficult to say-I'll probably have this on the barter list*

*on the other hand-the pinion repair he did for me was very reasonable and-he even fabricated a part-so I would otherwise assume it could be an easy repair and I'd prefer to take the chance of keeping it. (it wouldn't be very nice for me to base my barter offers on watches that he already estimated would be very cheap to fix. Part of our 'deal' is we both take a bit of a gamble based on our own particular likes.
    thanks
    Last edited by DaBaeker; June 12th, 2015 at 07:10.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Re: Watchmakers/fixers.,.general service question

It would seem like a problem with the cannon pinion. Vintage Enicars often have these problems.
    The hour hand is mounted on the hour wheel and the minute hand is mounted on the cannon pinion.
    The center wheel drives the cannon pinion, the cannon pinion drives the minute wheel and that in turn drives the hour wheel.
    So when there are issues with the cannon pinion it affects both hands. The exception is the sweep second and you state that it acts normally.
    It should, because it's mounted directly on the centre wheel and doesn't have anything to do with the cannon pinion.

I hope this makes sense.

Grtz Melvin
    lovebandit likes this.

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

I would have to agree with Melvin and his diagnosis. Certainly would seem to be an under the dial problem and the symptoms match a slipping cannon pinion more than say a missing dial washer or loose dial.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mirius View Post
    I would have to agree with Melvin and his diagnosis. Certainly would seem to be an under the dial problem and the symptoms match a slipping cannon pinion more than say a missing dial washer or loose dial.
    thanks, both. so I can reasonably assume it is a canon pinion-which is the same problem he tackle with another old watch. I will probably have this watch serviced and not offer it up for barter-for-service as I have others with bigger issues.
    :ROLEX OMEGA LONGiNES ♦ SEIKO Aquadive ♦ ELGIN ♦ hamilton O&W imexZodiac......

Vint. Forum Co-Moderator Mirius's Avatar

Adjusting cannon pinion tension is part of a standard service so should present no issues.

Had to get a new canon pinion for my Ultradive with AR1145. Seems to be a common problem with them
    DaBaeker likes this.
    Vintage Chronographs and Divers are my thing.

Thread Information