Water resistant Pocket watch, know of any?
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Water resistant Pocket watch, know of any?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water resistant Pocket watch, know of any?

Hello my watch friends,
    I am looking to buy a Pocket watch that is waterproof or water resistant. Something that will keep working if I forget it in my pocket and go swimming. Something with a screw down crown? The only one I can find is a Pocket watch by Swiss army, water resistant to 3ATM. Any more out there? The way there are so many diving watches, I hoped to find one with a little more of a resistance to water. Thanks for your suggestions. Vance.
    Watch the time you have, Jesus is coming soon! “Faith is seeing the light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.”

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

Zenith Forum Co-moderator

Re: Water resistant Pocket watch, know of any?

I rather doubt that you will find such a watch. The trouble is that the whole point of a waterproof watch is that you should be able to look at it all the time. Divers watches take this further - they are (supposed to be) an integral part of the equipment. What is the point of a waterproof pocket watch if most people go swimming in bathing trunks without pockets for these and, even if they did have one, you had to fumble about underwater to get it out to check the time? The theoretical consideration "I don't want to read the time in/under the water, I just want it with me to make sure it's safe and not getting nicked" is too rarely put forward and too esoteric for watch companies to make a profit from providing watches like that when there are perfectly functional wrist watches of that type, I'm afraid. Sorry!

Hartmut Richter

Technically, there were waterproof pocket watches - for example, ones with Borgel cases. Some of them, IIRC, were supplied to the British military, so they actually had to withstand rough conditions. I believe the pocket watches supplied to the German army during WW2 also were waterproof...well, theoretically (as required by the specification) they should have been, as in practice the water resistance of German milwatches from that period really varied from manufacturer to manufacturer.

They're hardly the thing you'd want to take swimming, though - they're exactly the thing that you'd want to keep away from water, magnets and jewellers. By the way, how do you imagine swimming with a pocket watch? I've yet to see swim shorts with a watch pocket...
    SilkeN likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

one could swim with one of those atrocious pocket-wrist-bands :D
    Chaos is my focus

Someone posted a question on here recently about a Timex Expedition that was mounted on a carabiner. Probably not what you are looking for, but I think that watches like this are readily available.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f11/mys...h-4502435.html
    Last edited by badbackdan; September 2nd, 2017 at 10:28.
    -- Dan (formerly known as @badbackdan)
    ------- @oldwatchdan on Instagram -------

I wasn't aware that the German army of WW2 still used pocket watches.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron521 View Post
    I wasn't aware that the German army of WW2 still used pocket watches.
    Yep, there were some of these. Not as common as wristwatches, but still...
    Probably issued to the units, which wouldn't really have to fight, or where a wristwatch would not be the better choice - medical staff, radio operators...

As a matter of fact, pocket watches were also widely used by the British army- the GSTPs still remained in use well after the war. I've even seen a "MoD redial" British military PW, which had its dial relumed with tritium, and marked for tritium - which means, that some have been used until the 1960s.
    busmatt likes this.
    I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it.
    Edgar Allan Poe

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
    George Orwell

(...)but that's what mankind is like: they only prize what they no longer possess.
    Erich Maria Remarque

For any inquiries regarding vintage Doxa watches, please read the highlighted text in my vintage Doxa thread. Sorry, but I will not respond to PMs on the matter.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 79
Size:  570.5 KB
    I think I'd be pretty upset if I accidentally went swimming with it in my pocket. But I could certainly believe it's water resistant.
    vmgotit and busmatt like this.

Well to answer some, I have the Columbia River and Lake Chelan, close by. I wear Wrangler cargo or hiking shorts for Six months of the year. I have not worn a pair of "swimming trunks" in a couple of years! So, my shorts have pockets that I use. 99% of the time I wear a watch. But if I am working on my Jeep, Landcruiser, or Cummings Dodge truck, any job the might scratch my watch, I take it off and use my gold Pocket watch. The Pocket watch did survive going through the washing machine 25 years ago. Did have it serviced soon after! Don't want to have something like that happen again! Hot, sticky, grease and dirty. I just jump in the lake or river to cool off and clean up!

think I will take my Citizen eco-drive diver and grind off the lugs on the 12 o'clock side. Nylon strap, and a carabiner hooked to belt loop, kind of setup. The watch is really to nice to do that too, but? Vance.
    Last edited by vmgotit; September 7th, 2017 at 06:56.
    Watch the time you have, Jesus is coming soon! “Faith is seeing the light with your heart when all your eyes see is darkness.”

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop, at late or early hour. Now is the only time you own. Live, love, toil with a will. Place no faith in time. For the clock may soon be still."

You are washing off car and truck grease in the rivers?
    Chaos is my focus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information